How do I map the mycloud to my file explorer on windows 11

here’s my issue I want to have it so i can access my cloud through my file explorer on windows 11 form anywhere with internet. i tried doing the ftp thing and go it to map but it throws an error saying folder doesn’t exist or i don’t have permission. how can i make this work I’ve been racking my brain on this for a week. this is my first time even touching a NAS so please understand that i have no prior knowledge of port forwarding, ftp servers, NAS setup, or the sort. thank you very much for any help you can offer.

You will likely have to setup your own VPN server on the local network containing the My Cloud. Then use a VPN client on the computer to create a VPN tunnel to access that network from remote locations. With a properly setup VPN server/client one should be able to create aVPN tunnel and map shares on a remote My Cloud. Plenty of VPN server/client DIY guides on the internet.

ok thank you very much for the response. ill look into that, just to save myself a headache does anyone know a specific video that goes over this? i have never done anything like this before. and by VPN client does that mean i have to pay for a VPN service like Nordvpn?

@Sloth1246
Is this what you own, a second generation WDMYCLOUD with OS5?
WDMyCloudImage

VPN services like the one you cited are for OUTGOING traffic. To secure your data when going OUT to the internet (and mask from where you are actually located)

What you need is a VPN that secures your data coming INTO your network from the internet.

Essentially, you need a few things;

• Need to know you WAN address (you know. . .how to find YOUR network from anywhere in the world). Your router will be assigned a WAN address from your ISP (internet service provider). Complication here is that WAN address gets reassigned periodically.

• you should have a DNS service provider. This will allow you to access your router using a NAME rather than a wan IP address. The service provider will track your ever changing WAN IP address and give it a easy to remember name. No-IP is one such provider. I personally use a free service provided by ASUS, who makes the router I have at home.

• You need a VPN server running on your network. Once you can REACH your network, you need something on your network to LISTEN for traffic, provide logon security, and perhaps (usually)(optionally) provide encryption for the connection to your network. It actually does not take much horsepower to run a VPN server. You can use a PC. You can use a Rasberry Pi. HECk, you can run a VPN server on most routers. My VPN server runs on my $50 asus router.

• you need VPN server software running on your Server hardware. My cheap $50 Asus router came preconfigured with OpenVpn. So I use OpenVPN as the server software on my Asus router. :slight_smile:

• you need a VPN Client running on your remote PC to log into and use the VPN server. (sounds a bit obvious, no?)

Once you connect your VPN client to the VPN server, your router will assign a local ip address to your PC. A few tricks to remember:

• Your router will likely assign an IP address that is in a different subnet from the rest of your network. (i.e. a PC on your network will have an address like 192.168.xx.xxx; while a VPN PC will likely get a 10.xx.xx.xx address)
  • If you are dialed into your home network; if you surf the internet (or do netflix); you essentially will route ALL your traffic through your home network. (i.e. your PC, to remote PC ISP, to your home ISP, to your Home router, back out to the internet)
  • In my network (running OS/3 WD boxes); the name resolution for the WD device name didn’t work on my remote PC. i.e. I couldn’t address the advice by typing “TheWDDevice”; I had to address the device using the ip address by typing “\\192.168.0.2”. There may be ways around that. . .but I never did the required indepth work required to make it happen.

I have a WD My Cloud Expert EX2 Ultra 2-Bay 8TB External Network Attached Storage (NAS)

No. VPN services like NordVPN are for creating a secure path for outgoing network traffic. As indicated above what you will need is a VPN server on the local network the My Cloud is attached to so you can use a VPN client on a remote computer to connect into the My Cloud using VPN.

Depending on the router or gateway one has, it may include a VPN server in the router’s administration interface. For example Asus routers typically have a VPN server option.

Otherwise you will need to look into setting up a VPN server on a local network device like a computer or SoC device like a Raspberry Pi. As previously indicated plenty of DIY how-to guides out there on the internet. Some examples:

@Sloth1246

Have you checked the sub-forum for your device?
Latest My Cloud OS 5 Personal & Network Attached Storage/My Cloud EX Series topics - WD Community

You may want to search the Knowledge Base too.

user-manual-my-cloud-expert-series-ex2-ultra.pdf (SECURED) (westerndigital.com)

My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual (wdc.com)