How can I create a directory/folder at the root?

I can create folders under existing folders, but I cannot create a folder at the root.  In fact, I can’t add ANYTHING to the root – right-clicking doesn’t bring up the choice of “New”.

At the root of what?

Maybe some screenshots would help.

Sorry – maybe I’m using out-of-date terminology.  In Windows Explorer, the WD NAS drive shows up with the name WDMYCLOUD, under “Network”.  And under WDMYCLOUD (which I was calling the root), there are folders named “Public”, etc.  I want to add folders at the same level as “Public”.

1 Like

those are called shares in the mycloud terms and are created with the shares tab in the user interface http://mycloudIPaddress/UI

JerryDoerr wrote:

Sorry – maybe I’m using out-of-date terminology.  In Windows Explorer, the WD NAS drive shows up with the name WDMYCLOUD, under “Network”.  And under WDMYCLOUD (which I was calling the root), there are folders named “Public”, etc.  I want to add folders at the same level as “Public”.

You have to use the UI to create SHARES.    Shares aren’t the same as folders.

larryg0 and TonyPh12345:

Thanks – I’ve made my “shares” now.  (Interesting that one of the UI startup windows refers to them as “folders”, so even some WD employees/contractors are confused about the terminology.)

Before my initial post, I had tried to get to the UI via a desktop shortcut that was presumably made by the installation process (a month ago), but the shortcut was using an IP address of 20, whereas the real (current) IP address is 127.  So I wasn’t able to get to the UI, and didn’t understand what was going on until I got your replies.  (The assignment of 20 was probably made when I installed the drive under my old router.)  I suppose that will be an issue every time I reboot the router, and IP addresses get reassigned.  Should be a better way.

I strongly suggest setting a statid IP for the mycloud and any other network resources such as printers

be sure it is outside of the routers DHCP pool addresses

JerryDoerr wrote:

(Interesting that one of the UI startup windows refers to them as “folders”, so even some WD employees/contractors are confused about the terminology.)

No Doubt!  

You can probably use your router’s control panel to fix the IP address for devices connected to it; this is what I do. I just leave them as the address negotiated by the initial DHCP negotiation. They are stored across router re-boots, just like the other router config settings.