High CPU and Ram usage

Can anyone explain what’s going on here? I have 2 PR4100’s and both are using about 30% memory but only 1 has a high CPU usage.

@TylerV76 smbd is the Windows Samba process. Any backups, file transfers, etc… occurring?
top is the process that runs the screen that you’re seeing.

@SBrown No processes, transfers or backups running. Plex isn’t doing anything either but has a bunch of processes running. Ive reached out to them about that issue. I use all Macs so do I need SMBD running? I have my drives connected to my Mac as network drives. If I don’t need it, is there a way to disable it?

Edit: Any reason OS5 would be using substantially more ram then OS3 was? I never crossed the 10% range with OS3 but now im at 30%

1 Like

I have the same issue, sometimes 85% RAM and nothing run

1 Like

Similar issue here. With high RAM usage by restsdk-server(but indexing is over and CPU is not being used)! I made a post here earlier today.

Same issue experienced on my end too. OS 5 is using significantly more RAM and CPU when idle compared to OS 3. With absolutely no “tasks” being performed, system essentially at idle, CPU stay at around 20% but fluctuate massively between 0-80% every few seconds. RAM is remaining pretty constant at around 40-50%. All this while idle.

I have 3 PR2100’s all now running OS 5, all having the same experience.

When previously on OS 3 at idle ie no “tasks” being performed, CPU would be near zero or below 10% and RAM would be between 0-20%. Seems OS 5 is super resource intense.

1 Like

Same here. I have a single PR2100 with CPU usage running at 99% and RAM at 69% with nothing going on to warrant that level of usage. The only thing that looks off on my end on the home page is that the “Cloud Access” shows “Indexing”. Maybe the Indexing is leading to the super high usage??

In my case, the “restsdk-server” appears to be the culprit on the CPU usage (not sure if that is related to the indexing or not as I’m not sure what “restsdk-server” is). The RAM seems to be getting chewed up a good bit by Plex for some reason, even with nothing going on with Plex.

Regardless, this is making the unit difficult to access for my work related functions and very problematic for any Plex usage to say the least. Any solutions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Indexing IS a cause for high RAM and CPU usage.
Many have been remarking on this.

Any share that has cloud access enabled will go through the indexing nightmare.
It is required for any web/app access to the drive (this is how it generates thumbnails)

It is NOT quick. Days.
Or . . .at least it is days for those of us with photo-centric drives. Not sure how it will be for videocentic guys.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I suppose I’ll just have to let it run for a few days and see what happens. I do have a lot of photos and videos so it may take a while.

On the RAM, I’m still curious about the seemingly high usage on Plex with nothing going on on that end. No activity or trans-coding is happening but it’s still chewing up RAM. Any ideas?

My cloud access is off.

Try my workaround to disable transcoding of your entire video library: Runaway ffmpeg process usage after MyCloud5 upgrade - #12 by arm3n

@arm3n… having VERY limited experience with this type of interface (I mainly rely on the web GUI), can you explain the steps that you took to “rename” /usr/bin/ffmpeg and stop the processing? Apologies in advance for my lack of understanding the process.

Also, in re-checking the processes that are continuing to chew up the resources, I did see that ffmpeg was using about 18% and a process called “top” was doing about the same. Not sure if those are also related to the trans-coding issue, but they are definitely eating up resources.

Does anyone know if I can disable the smbd process and if it will affect accessing files on my macs?

Now hold on there. I believe ffmpeg is used to generate those thumbnails. ffmpeg can also be used to get metadata from videos. Did your Indexing complete yet?

Top is used to display/update Device Activity list.

My 2nd NAS is now showing very little CPU usage for smbd but my 1st NAS is still showing high usage. Both are setup identically and the drives are mirrored. I don’t understand why one is behaving so much differently than the other but its getting annoying. Ram is still being used much more than it should be on both machines.

Cloud access is off on both so no, its not indexing.

@TylerV76 Is that screenshot of the 1st NAS, with top @ 16.3% (completely normal from time to time) and smdb @ 1.9% (that’s what happens on my end anytime there is a read/write being done on the RAID, either by something on your network or installed app)?

The screenshot with 1.9% smbd is the 2nd NAS that is running ok. The RAM usage is still hovering around 30% on it for some reason though. The only thing installed on these is Plex. If I turn off Plex completely then RAM usage drops to 25%. This is the 1st NAS that has an smbd issue.

Also, the disks are in JBOD and there is currently no computer or device connected to them. I’ve disconnected all network drives temporarily.

I am having the same issue with my PR4100, smbd going high.

I found an error on trasconding on Plex…

I disabled transcoding completely on Plex, and rebooted my PR4100, so far back to normal…