Here is how to set up the Western digital for your own phone cloud storage

This is a video I found for you guys to learn how to set up my cloud perfectly on your phone so you can have phone backup instead of using iCloud and then the other storage service

It’s not a full iCloud replacement but a good step in this direction indeed.

What is a deal-breaker for with the WD MyCloud app is that the photos don’t store the ‘Live Photos’ but only the static image.

And it’s misleading because inside the app on the phone you can actually preview the Live Photos but they are not store on the NAS itself.

I wish WD would implement this feature to make it a real photos backup solution (like Amazon Photos or Google Photos).

No it’s the full photo That’s why when my wife gets home she deletes all the photos off her phone and just goes right to the cloud and then drags them off her phone to the stuff and everything’s there full photo full image everything

The only thing it doesn’t back up are your contacts and stuff like that and your phone app stuff it’s the full picture it’s the full picture it’s not a static image when you download it all those pictures are on your dad as soon as it says backed up do the app those are the actual pictures you’re looking at through the news if there’s just a good quality as if you just took them on your phone and we’re looking at them on your phone

The only static image is when you’re looking at your cloud but when you send it to somebody the link for them to download it they’re downloading the full image off your cloud at home

And video trust me I tested this you can’t tell me it’s not I do it all the time there’s no quality loss

The contacts will not be backed up.

The automatic backup only included photos & videos.

Regarding Live Photos: iPhone 6s and newer model feature this.

Live Photos is an iPhone camera feature that brings movement in your photos to life ! Instead of freezing a moment in time with a still photo, a Live Photo captures a 3-second moving image.

Photos & Videos are backed up fine in original quality but not the Live Photo Part of a Photo. :slight_smile:

No the contacts won’t be backed up it’s mostly just for videos and your phone if you’re going to use it for your phone I’m just saying backup for your phone I cloud I’d use the other stuff that’s not the stuff that you’re going to be paying a lot of money for if you have a lot of contacts that’s taking up 5 gigs then I think you have more contacts than you would ever need I’m talking about when you’re in the terabytes or 2 terabytes that’s not even worth it for iCloud they charge $39.94 a month That’s like $470 bucks in one year you could buy one of the clouds and then next year buy a hard drive and then an 8 or 12 or 16 terabyte hard drive for that and then you’ll be good for years and save that extra $470 bucks

There’s actually a device where you can play and you install it on your computer and you’ll be able to install on your computer and you’ll be able to watch the live and be able to look at the special file format that Apple uses unless you turn it off but that iPhone has and I use it and it’s free it’s awesome I have some other ones I’ll be making a video on too it’s free on copytrans

Do you have a name and link for this software to install on local computer? “…device where you can play and you install it on your computer…to watch the live…”.
I don’t use WD as primary, just backup in case primary misses something. #WDUserRewards