Help needed in initializing My Cloud Home with a new drive

Hi there,

As specified in the topic header, i need help with my WD My Cloud Home. I had a 3tb 2nd Gen My Cloud Home that i bought new. It serviced me amazing for almost 4-5 years until it died recently. I have issues with power surges and blackouts in my area and the last time it happened, unfortunately, it broke my My Cloud. The drive experienced a mechanical failure and i think my My Cloud got bricked? In any case, i removed the drive from the enclosure following youtube videos and recovered all important data from it. Recovering the existing image from the old drive is out of question as it is way beyond its lifespan and is completely dead now.

I have now acquired a new hard drive that is 500GB that i want to try and initialize with the enclosure to see if its worth investing in a new NAS drive or if my MyCloud is completely busted and i would instead have to buy a whole new Cloud device.

In an attempt to do this myself, i found a few posts on this forum that followed the steps of “Unbricking” the device.
1st post i followed: [GUIDE] Upgrade HDD of WD My Cloud 1st gen
2nd post i followed: [GUIDE] Debrick a completely dead MyCloud

I have very limited experience with Linux and Debian so i wasn’t successful. It would help me more than i could ever be able to explain if someone could explain the solution to me.

TL;DR: My MyCloud Home failed. My old HDD that came with the enclosure is beyond access or repair. I would like to fix the MyCloud with a new HDD.

It sounds like you may have a My Cloud Gen 2, NOT a My Cloud Home. What is the P/N number on the bottom of the device?

Hi there. Sorry for the extremely late reply. Yes my device is indeed not a MyCloud home but a normal MyCloud. The P/N is WDBCTL0030HWT - 10