Replacing / Unbricking a 2TB WD MyCloud

Hello people here in the forum,
I apologize in advance for creating a new topic here, but I’m at the end of my ideas on how to get my WD MyCloud up and running again. Maybe you can give me some help because I am really at the end.

Here is no short story how it all started:

I bought a WDMyCloud case without HDD,
Normally the serial number is -00 for Gen1 and -10 for Gen2. Funnily enough it ends up as follows: 0040HWT-0 it seems that the MyCloud has been overhauled in Poland. So I was not exactly sure what to take, but tried it mainly with the Gen1 images.

As hard disk I use the following disk:
2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute ST2000DM008

I used the following guides:

*limited to 2 link posts since i am a new member…

Tested many Firmwares, also from here: wd.hides.su

All my work ended up in a red blinking light. No access to the webUI or to a SSH session, because the MyCloud did not even send a DHCP request. So i guess its still bricked.

Does the enclosure you purchased look like this:
My Cloud Single Bay

Or this:
My Cloud Home Single Bay

My Cloud Home is a completely different device than the My Cloud line of devices. The directions and information for unbricking will not work on a My Cloud Home.

Generally it is recommended one do a 40 second reset after unbricking a single bay My Cloud. It can fix certain issues including the front LED being red.

My Cloud OS 3: 4 & 40 Sec Reset (System Restore Only)
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24022

Sometimes one may have to perform the unbrick process more than once before it is successful. Do not change any of the partition values, use the exact values in the directions. Make sure to figure out which specific single bay My Cloud you have since the first gen directions and files are different than the second gen directions and files.

Hello Bennor,
thanks for your information!

I have the My Cloud Single Bay on the first image.
Like i said i have nor a 00 or 10 number just a 0. So i cannot confirm what Gen that is.
The 40s Reset does not work, the System is completely unresponsive to the reset push hole @ the back.

What is the full P/N number from the bottom of the enclosure?

If you have copied any data to the 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive back that data up, then delete all the partitions on the drive and reformat it for one single large drive. Then follow the first gen single bay unbrick directions, start the partitioning section of the directions by removing the single partition then create the partitions exactly as the directions indicate. The proceed through the rest of the steps including pushing the IMG files to their respective partitions. It may help to use the original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz (extracted) files. I’ve found I sometimes get out of space errors pushing one of the extract original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz IMG files to one of the partitions as the directions indicate. With v3. firmware installed one can then download and flash the latest v4.x firmware.

Hello Bennor,
thanks for your info.
I used this guide : http://wd.hides.su/fox_exe/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD%20-%20English.txt

@ Point 8
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
# Type “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

didn´t work out for me *see screenshot.

I used the firmware v3.04.01-230

Result: Blinking red light, not responding to the 40s Reset button

A few comments on the first gen unbrick procedure and the errors, similar to the step 8 one you saw, that I’ve encountered in the past.

When running the first gen unbrick directions from User Fox_exe I typically get one or two errors, which I tend to bypass.The unbrick process typically completes despite these errors. Places where I typically get warnings or errors:

• Step 8. The command ‘mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2’ sometimes throws an error. I typically just ignore the error and continue to the next entry command in step 8.
  • Step 12. When using the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz file, I get a out of space error when running the command ‘dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5’. I typically ignore this error and proceed to the next entry command in step 12. When using the original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz extracted files I do not get the out of space error message on sdb5.
  • When booting the My Cloud for the first time after unbricking the hard drive I eventually get a red front LED after the bootup completes. I then attempt to access the My Cloud Dashboard. If I am able to access the Dashboard I run a Settings > Utilities > System Factory Restore > System Only restore. This typically fixes the 0K capacity and the failed mount issue that typically happens with this unbrick procedure.

Its important to note that step 8 has several lines of commands one is supposed to enter.

8. Stop automatically loaded md raid (If need) and create new, normal (You can get errors "Not found". Its normal):
mdadm --stop /dev/md*
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
	# Type "watch cat /proc/mdstat" and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

Each mdadm line entry is a separate command that gets entered, one at a time. One may get an error on the first and maybe the second mdadm line entry. After entering the third mdam line command one would then type “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait for it to indicated 100%.

I found out something new.
After contacting WD they dont know a serialnumber with -0
so i researched myself a little bit.
a found out that the PCB my cloud is using is indeed a Gen2 Board.
I tried to use the recovery gen 2 steps from wd.hides.su.
The cloud is now booting in SafeMode, but i cannot flash firmware 2. It stops @ 0%. The cloud shortly flashes blue and then red again. I also tried the reset, does not respond.
So i would focus on Gen2 Steps since Gen1 Steps dont work.

I was able to restore the mycloud with the gen2 recovery + my mini os guide
enabled raid jbod scanned and formatted the drive and boom its working, doing full reset, update to v2 newest firmware and then to v5, atm its running, i will keep an eye on it for some days and report.