Hardware reset = epic fail!

I recently purchased a ShareSpace 4TB on Amazon, and had only the usual concerns (i.e. the speed issue, but that’s minor compared to my current issue), and everything was fine; however, yesterday, I was having problems logging into the NAS, whether it be through web admin, SMB/CIFS, or AFP.  So, I go to hardware reset the box as instructed in the manual, and I find it bricked – no HTTP, no SSH, no SMB, nothing.  A port scan of the ShareSpace reveals that, after I left the box on for 12 hours, the only ports open are 111, 1641, 1910, 9000, and 54347.  In other words, outside of Twonky, the thing is bricked.  Anyone know what might be causing this or how to circumvent the problem?

FYI, I forgot to mention that it’s on 2.2.91 if that matters.

I know this doesn’t solve your problem - but may I point out this request which I filed two weeks ago:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Network-Drive-Ideas/Sharespace-Please-provide-a-tool-to-recover-files-from-a-broken/idi-p/117618

May be if you vote for it (and extend it with your wishes), WD will reconsider and provide some tools that can help?

Thanks

Matt

P.S. @all: yes, I really want WD to finally enter this forum, read it and listen to us customers. And yes, I really want them to provide this tool so that users such as u4yk10 can help themselves.

Mine did the same on 2.2.91 I sent it back and they gave me a new one. Still a crappy way of getting it fixed, as it was only a software issue.

I saw that and voted for it a while back.  This is something they’re in dire need of.

I just wanted to provide a status to anyone who was interested.  After I posted the ticket history, the moderators removed that post while escalating my open ticket. Unfortunately, the fine folks at WD wanted to troubleshoot the problem while I was working; so, the timing was off for their phone support to assist – even though they tried.

Meanwhile, I purchased a RAID controller/SATA enclosure, which I installed into my Lenny box and popped the WD drives into the enclosure.  In about an hour – after hunting down drivers for the RAID card, I had the RAID5 array up and accessible.  I saw not too long ago a post on here about someone able to get the ShareSpace back up after deleting some cache on the OS partition, but I don’t know if I want to go that route at the moment.

Lessons learned:

1. If you want support, don’t complain about it – provide proof.  Nothing would give WD a bigger black eye than having their ineptitude finely detailed in a huge paper trail of support tickets.

2. Regarding #1, don’t do it here, as the turnaround for deletion is rather quick.  There are alternative sites you can post your examples.

3. Also regarding #1, scrub out names and emails.  You have to protect your privacy.

4. I’m glad that I didn’t format the drive or send the NAS in for an RMA.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t be writing about how great it is to have my data back.

I highly encourage everyone who has not only had a bad experience with the ShareSpace, but with support as well, to not just complain about the problem, but show off your interaction with support.  People frivolously complain alot in this day and age, and it’s easy to get drowned out, but when you have evidence to support your claim, more of the public will take notice – which will force WD to do something about the problems we tend to complain about on this forum.