Hard Drive Failure Recovery Data encryption?

Last week I was using my external HD on my Laptop and began have problems creating new folders on the drive. There were also some permission issues. I shut down my computer and HD and when I restarted my drive was no longer accessible. I am not able to initialize the drive. I installed the WD Drive Utilities software and when I go to the Driver Erase Tab I see that under the unlock Drive i have 5 incorrect attempts, but I have never setup a password or encryption. I spoke with one of the data recovery companies listed on the web site and they think that when the drive started to fail it encrypted the data on the drive. How is that possible? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anyway to recover the data?

dave

In Windows 10, if you can create new folders on other drives on the desktop but not on your disc, the problem is likely with the drive.Try one or more methods to repair folder creation failure if you find yourself in a situation similar to this one.
You cannot make any write protections on a disc that is set to read-only, including adding new directories or files. Press Windows + R, type “diskpart,” and press Enter to launch the Diskpart programme and perform the following instructions to see if the drive is write-protected.

list disk

select disc n.

Attributed disc
Your disc is write-protected if Current Read-only State is set to Yes. Running the command “attributes disc clear read-only” will allow you to disable write protection on the drive.

A notification stating “Disc attributes clear successfully” will then appear. Additionally, the drive allows you to create new folders.

2,. You need to get permission from Windows Explorer.

Get permission from Windows Explorer

If you aren’t capable of creating new folder on the drive with the error – Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action, you need to get permission from Windows Explorer.
Step 1. Right-click the drive in Windows Explorer and choose “Properties”.
Step 2. In the Properties window, click Security and Edit.

Step 3. Permission for local drive pops up. Click “Add” and enable full control for your drive.

• If you can’t initialize the disk, there might be a wrong setting or the drive has bad sectors.
  • A new empty disk won’t initialize, you can simply format it, and then you can use it.
  • Make sure to check the disk status if you can’t initialize the hard drive by reconnecting it.
  • If no solution works and you cannot initialize the disk, it might be a serious hardware issue.
    If you cant initialize the disk make sure that disk is online.
    Right-click on the Start button and choose Disk Management.
    Right-click on the uninitialized drive in the bottom left and choose Online from the contextual menu.
    Try accessing the drive.
    The first thing you need to do is confirm that the disk is online. Drives do not need to be set online while configuring, but that’s not the case for standard HDD drives. So, before doing something drastic, enable the drive using the steps above.

For you to successfully do this you must use some specialized hard drive recovery software that can not only perform common deleted file recovery, formatted data recovery, and RAW drive recovery but also recover data from inaccessible disks, like in this case.

If you’re still unable to initialize the disk, consider replacing it. The most likely reason for this is the hardware malfunction and it’s hard to fix it.

I am not able to get the disk online or initialized. You mentioned some specialized software in your response.
For you to successfully do this you must use some specialized hard drive recovery software that can not only perform common deleted file recovery, formatted data recovery, and RAW drive recovery but also recover data from inaccessible disks, like in this case.
Do you have any recommendation of what that software would be? I paid for Recuva, but it is not able to do anything with being able to recognize the drive.

Thanks for your help so far.

dave

1 Like

Hi,
You can opt for Stellar Data Recovery software once. They have various version like Free, Standard, Professional, Premium, Technician and Toolkit. The free version helps one to recover 1 GB of data for free if one wants to recover more than 1 GB of data then they can go with the paid version of the software.
If you need any help kindly let me know. Thanks