G-Drive SSD 8TB Fan Keeps Turning ON and OFF

I have a Thunderbolt 3 G-DRIVE External SSD 8TB. When connected to my Mac Studio, the fan will turn on for about 5 seconds, then off for 5 seconds, then back on for 5 seconds. It keeps doing this over and over. I am not even doing anything on the computer when this is happening. It’s very annoying. How can I get it to either stay on, or off for an extended period of time?

Hi @scranton,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

scranton - Same thing is happening to me as well, just got the drive from B&H over the weekend. The support link below is not working as of today. If you find anything else [and vice-versa] about this fan going on and off, let me know! Thanks!

I have approval to send in the drive to Western Digital for a replacement or fix, but I am not too optimistic about it. I haven’t sent it in yet since I need to offload all my data first and I’ve been busy. I’ve taken multiple videos showing the fan going on and off. I will report back on any updates.

I just got this drive less than a month ago. Right before they got hacked. Mine does the same thing. Though, it seems to happen when it’s colder inside the room. Does this drive have a sensor that controls the fan based on how warm it is?

Has there been any information provided on this? Any updates as to the fan’s behavior?

I got in touch with tech-support, and after a bit of a hassle with them telling me it’s normal, or the temperature of my room is too hot or some other nonsense like that they said I could mail it back.

I’m pretty sure they were just look at it and say everything’s in working order and to be honest I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had a chance to mail it back.

I think I might just put the drive further away from my desk, so I just can’t hear it. And if that doesn’t work, I honestly might just open it up and snip the cable for the fan. It’s an SSD. It doesn’t really need a fan. That would certainly void my warranty, but I’m also convinced that they would mail it back to me in the same problem with occur.

Ah. Ok. Well, I heard back from WD. They said it’s a temperature-controlled fan. This seems to fit as I’ve only seen the fan stop intermittently when it’s on the colder side in my house. During warmer temps, it’s always on.

Of course it’s a temperature controlled fan. That doesn’t explain the constant 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off, 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off… the temperature in my office is 72 degrees 365 days a year.

That does make one wonder. They did also mention something about workload on the drive as well. How much did you end up paying for the drive?

It’s interesting that it’s always so heavily discounted too. I paid 999 but just got refunded another 200 because it went down to 799 right after I bought it. :-/

Workload? The fan is literately just turning on and off while it’s sitting on my desk. With only Finder open. No editing apps, not copying anything, etc. It even does it when it’s connected but ejected. There’s definitely a hardware (temp sensor) or software issue. They won’t admit it.

I paid well over $1000. I think it was closer to $1500 to be honest. Yes I am mad about it. But like I said I think I’ll just get a longer Thunderbolt cable and shove it in a drawer. Or clip the cable all together. Next time I’ll go with a different brand.

Yeah. It definitely sounds like yours is malfunctioning. It’s BS that they won’t even attempt to maybe even just warranty it out. :frowning:

To be fair they said I could send it back. But I’m like 99% convinced after I go through all that hassle and transfer of footage, plus down time during my busy season, they will just tell me it’s functioning normally, or they will send me a new unit that will do the same.

I would feel the same.