Inconsistent Drive Behavior

Hi All. I tried opening a support case. but, the site seems to be having an issue. So, I thought I would post my question/issue here.

The reason for my post is that I just had a drive fail after only 3 weeks and the replacement drive is behaving in a similar fashion. This is actually my third drive in a month. The first was DOA out of the box, the second failed after a few weeks, and I’m not on my third.

OK, here’s my setup. I have a 27" iMac with three G Tech 4TB Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 drives. Two I’ve had for about a year. They are plugged into the Thunderbolt ports. I recently added another drive and it is plugged into a USB port as the iMac only has two Thunderbolt ports.

This new drive (and the one before it) acts differently than the two existing drives (that are plugged into the Thunderbolt ports). When the drive is idle, the light on the front of the drive is off. The other two drives just dim their lights when they are inactive. The new drive is also very chatty. I see the light flicker quite often and I can hear a little drive chatter. This occurs whether I’m doing anything on the computer or not. This happens quite a bit through out the day.

Not a big deal. but, like I mentioned, I’m asking because I have had two drives fail on me and this one is acting the same as the previous one that lasted a few weeks. I want to see if anyone has seen anything like this before and knows if I’m in for a problem.

Thankfully, I’m a little anal about my backups and have been protected. But, it’s a pain to have to do restores, etc. as well as not have a lot of confidence in this new drive.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Ron

The G-DRIVE w/ Thunderbolt drives operate a little differently than our other drives.

They require an active data connection attached to the drive in order to power on. So if your computer is going to sleep or putting the drives to sleep that could be the reason why the light is going off. This should not be the case and we would suggest disabling letting the computer put the drives to sleep or the computer itself.

That being said the noises are pretty common, some drives are just louder than others and the chirps and hums are to be expected.