Flac albums out of order

RenderBender wrote:

I can also confirm the problem with the order of FLACs. I just purchased the Hub product and connected it to my network. I then upgraded to the latest firmware. I then copied several (FLAC - properly tagged) albums to its internal 1 TB hard drive. No matter what I do, when I go to ‘Music’, it wants to play the tracks in reverse order.

Now, in folder mode, it displays the files in correct sequence (my track names begin with the track number). However, when I select the FIRST track to play, it plays it just fine and then stops. I MANUALLY select the second track and when it completes, goes on to the third track and plays the remaining tracks in that folder as expected. But not when you select the first.

WD - we need some software fixes to this fundamental problem. Thanks!

Is the Media Library switched on or off?

I’ll check (and test) that switch tonight and report back. Being new to the product, I’m still trying out all the options and switches. Thanks!

I have the problem, and my media library is on.

hawkster27 wrote:

So if you have the Media Library switched on and FOLDER view selected the first track plays and then stops. Then you have to play track two manually and the rest of the tracks play in sequence?

I haven’t tested that.  That was badmem’s issue.  Like wolfman, I have the inverted track sequence problem, and I keep the media library on.

badmem wrote:

hawkster27 wrote:

So if you have the Media Library switched on and FOLDER view selected the first track plays and then stops. Then you have to play track two manually and the rest of the tracks play in sequence?

Okay, I’ve verified the FLAC behavious - Media Library switch: ON

With respect to MUSIC view. Files are always displayed/played in descending sequence. Doesn’t seem to be any way to convince it otherwise.

With respect to FOLDER view. Files display in proper sequence. However, when you start the play at *any* track number, it will play that track only and not continue. When you play the next track manually, it will continue on and play the remaining tracks in that folder. Interesting aside, there is a ‘ticker’ at the bottom that shows the tag info of the currently playing track - AND what track is ‘next’. Your first selection leaves NEXT at blank – and it does in fact stop. However, a subsequent play will properly show what is next and, if fact, plays it.

So, if you want to play an entire FLAC album in FOLDER view, here’s the workflow:

1. Choose FOLDER view

2. Obviously navigate to the desired folder

3. The tracks should be shown in the proper sequence (as long as you have track number first in your naming convention).

4. Choose track 2. Then quickly move up one and choose track 1. It will play track 1 and you’ll see that at that point it properly seeds the ‘NEXT’ track name on the ticker at the bottom. It will now play the entire FLAC album properly.

Sheeze! A workflow just to play an album. WD - if you’re listening, might I recommend a fix in the next release?

On the good news front, the unit is very, very versitile. I shoot and edit HD video. I’m now able to quickly push h.264 hi-def video from my editing rig thru the network to the Live Hub and proof edits on my home theater system. Plus, listening to (properly made) FLACs (especially the 24-bit ones) is a real treat. I’m probably going to get a second one just to tote around for client and prospect presentations. I believe the combination of the Live Hub and a hi-def HDMI projector would be quite a powerful selling tool.

RenderBender wrote:

badmem wrote:

hawkster27 wrote:

Okay, I’ve verified the FLAC behavious - Media Library switch: ON

With respect to MUSIC view. Files are always displayed/played in descending sequence. Doesn’t seem to be any way to convince it otherwise.

With respect to FOLDER view. Files display in proper sequence. However, when you start the play at *any* track number, it will play that track only and not continue. When you play the next track manually, it will continue on and play the remaining tracks in that folder. Interesting aside, there is a ‘ticker’ at the bottom that shows the tag info of the currently playing track - AND what track is ‘next’. Your first selection leaves NEXT at blank – and it does in fact stop. However, a subsequent play will properly show what is next and, if fact, plays it.

So, if you want to play an entire FLAC album in FOLDER view, here’s the workflow:

1. Choose FOLDER view
  1. Obviously navigate to the desired folder
  1. The tracks should be shown in the proper sequence (as long as you have track number first in your naming convention).
  1. Choose track 2. Then quickly move up one and choose track 1. It will play track 1 and you’ll see that at that point it properly seeds the ‘NEXT’ track name on the ticker at the bottom. It will now play the entire FLAC album properly.

Sheeze! A workflow just to play an album. WD - if you’re listening, might I recommend a fix in the next release?

On the good news front, the unit is very, very versitile. I shoot and edit HD video. I’m now able to quickly push h.264 hi-def video from my editing rig thru the network to the Live Hub and proof edits on my home theater system. Plus, listening to (properly made) FLACs (especially the 24-bit ones) is a real treat. I’m probably going to get a second one just to tote around for client and prospect presentations. I believe the combination of the Live Hub and a hi-def HDMI projector would be quite a powerful selling tool.

• *> How are you starting playback - by using the OK or PLAY button. The OK button is supposed to just play the selected track and stop. The PLAY button is supposed to play all tracks. Something easy to try.> I say “supposed to” because in my case with the Media Library ON and FOLDER view selected the OK and PLAY buttons both do the same thing - they play everything automatically. This is a different behavior than you have described. In other parts of the interface; for instance if you search for files; the OK button only plays the selected track and the PLAY button plays everything!> I’ve had my HUB since March and just as I think I’ve got it figured out, I find another “undocumented feature” :wink: I have managed to find work arounds for most of these annoyances, with the help of this forum. It would be nice if eveything worked as expected - but that wouldn’t be as much fun :smiley:

hawkster27 wrote:

I haven’t tested that.  That was badmem’s issue.  Like wolfman, I have the inverted track sequence problem, and I keep the media library on.

So this is another variation on the problem? :dizzy_face: I can reproduce the problem when the ALBUM view is selected, but in my case in FOLDER view with the Media Library switched on the tracks display and play in the correct order.

• *> How are you starting playback - by using the OK or PLAY button. The OK button is supposed to just play the selected track and stop. The PLAY button is supposed to play all tracks. Something easy to try.> I say “supposed to” because in my case with the Media Library ON and FOLDER view selected the OK and PLAY buttons both do the same thing - they play everything automatically. This is a different behavior than you have described. In other parts of the interface; for instance if you search for files; the OK button only plays the selected track and the PLAY button plays everything!> I’ve had my HUB since March and just as I think I’ve got it figured out, I find another “undocumented feature” :wink: I have managed to find work arounds for most of these annoyances, with the help of this forum. It would be nice if eveything worked as expected - but that wouldn’t be as much fun :smiley:

Alrighty then. I have been using the OK button to select. Just seemed natural to do so, at least to me. Never even thought to use the Play Button above. I will certainly try that tonight. I looked thru the manual but didn’t see any specific mention of the differentiation between the OK and the Play. But, as you say, very easy to try. However, if the OK button is supposed to ONLY play the one file, then it’s not working correctly on subsequent clicks.

I’ve had my HUB for only several days now and it seems like I’m learning something new on it each time I mess with it. These forums are a great help, especially during the learning process.

Since you have a lot more experience on it, I’d like to ask one more question about the remote control. I have a Netflix account so I decided to see how the HUB worked with it. When I first clicked on it, it very logically asked if I had an account and of course I clicked Yes. It then asked for the two bits of info; my email address and password. However, I could not figure out how to get alpha characters from the remote. I tried every other key as a ‘shift’ key. The manual only states that if you tap the number keys repeatedly, it will cycle thru the alphas. I’m sure it’s me but I’ll be a rat’s butt if I could figure it out. I solved the problem easily by plugging in a USB keyboard - that worked perfectly. But I’d really like to know how to get the alphas to work on the remote. Thanks!!

I’ve also tried using the different views and found out the same thing how the Live Hub handles the FLAC files.

In Music view = FLAC files in decending order

In Folder view = FLAC files in ascending order

So Folder view is the workaround until WD find a solution to fix the bug with the Music view.

@RenderBender

I have found out that if you navigate to the folder containing the album you want to play and then push the Play button it should play the whole album. (Don´t push the OK button to enter the folder, just push Play)

If they don’t fix such a simple thing in the next firmware and they will continue adding stupid and completely useless feature like games I’ll probably be very angry with WD, I don’t ask to improve the music player, with AEonish Hub theme by JoeySmith anyway it looks a bit better with music sheet, but at least fix the problem on it!!

RenderBender wrote:

Alrighty then. I have been using the OK button to select. Just seemed natural to do so, at least to me. Never even thought to use the Play Button above. I will certainly try that tonight. I looked thru the manual but didn’t see any specific mention of the differentiation between the OK and the Play. But, as you say, very easy to try. However, if the OK button is supposed to ONLY play the one file, then it’s not working correctly on subsequent clicks.

I’ve had my HUB for only several days now and it seems like I’m learning something new on it each time I mess with it. These forums are a great help, especially during the learning process.

Since you have a lot more experience on it, I’d like to ask one more question about the remote control. I have a Netflix account so I decided to see how the HUB worked with it. When I first clicked on it, it very logically asked if I had an account and of course I clicked Yes. It then asked for the two bits of info; my email address and password. However, I could not figure out how to get alpha characters from the remote. I tried every other key as a ‘shift’ key. The manual only states that if you tap the number keys repeatedly, it will cycle thru the alphas. I’m sure it’s me but I’ll be a rat’s butt if I could figure it out. I solved the problem easily by plugging in a USB keyboard - that worked perfectly. But I’d really like to know how to get the alphas to work on the remote. Thanks!!

You may have found yet another variation on the OK vs PLAY and playback sequence “feature” :dizzy_face:

On the onscreen keyboard - If you press the large “ABC” on the left side above the Cancel button you will get CAPS. If you press the “@#&” on the right hand side above the .com you will get numbers and symbols. Hope that is what you were looking for.

Plesk90 wrote:

If they don’t fix such a simple thing in the next firmware and they will continue adding stupid and completely useless feature like games I’ll probably be very angry with WD, I don’t ask to improve the music player, with AEonish Hub theme by JoeySmith anyway it looks a bit better with music sheet, but at least fix the problem on it!!

Can’t agree more.

Wolfman74 wrote:

I’ve also tried using the different views and found out the same thing how the Live Hub handles the FLAC files.

In Music view = FLAC files in decending order

In Folder view = FLAC files in ascending order

So Folder view is the workaround until WD find a solution to fix the bug with the Music view.

@RenderBender

I have found out that if you navigate to the folder containing the album you want to play and then push the Play button it should play the whole album. (Don´t push the OK button to enter the folder, just push Play)

Yes those are two workarounds to the bug. It would be nice if WD got the HUB to play the files back correctly in the first place without the workarounds though :wink:

Has anyone tried the new firmware 2.08.13 and if so - have they fixed the problem with the sorting of the FLAC albums?

I did the update yesterday haven’t try to see if they’ve fixed the problem but I don’t think so as there is no FLAC fixes in the release note. Anyway this new firmware breake some png code so if you use an unofficial theme with backdrops you shouldn’t install it or you won’t see any cover art or backdrops!!! 

I can confirm, they don’t fix the flac order bug! It seams they doesn’t care about it they prefer to add stupid service I will never use, instead of fix the bug…Ah and they even breaks .png support for modified theme…

Shame on you WD developer theme!

I numbered the file names (not the title names) for each song, so it would list in the same order as the album. The format is 01 songname.flac   02 songname.flac  …  17 songname.flac.   But now I am noticing that while using the ALBUM filter, the tracks within my flac albums are in reverse order.  This has been for the last 2 firmware releases.

Interestingly, using PLAYLIST filter, the songs are listed in the correct order in this latest release.

Having purchased a WD TV Live Hub this very day SPECIFICALLY to play FLAC files through my home cinema system I can’t begin to describe how angry I am that the device I was praising as a work of genius only 1 hour ago is now almost useless!  Western Digital:  WHY have you not fixed this problem that has been reported for months when you’ve released two firmware updates since the defect was spotted?!  I’ve just spent £190 on your product and because of your lack of care and attention my experience has been RUINED!  What curse is on me that the only feature I need a very powerful machine to do is fundamentally broken?  UNBELIEVABLE!!!

PLEASE fix this asap!

OK … rolled back the firmware and it’s fixed so at least I don’t have tom get a refund on the device!

It’s TERRIBLE that the WD dev team broke the feature and 2 versions later still haven’t reverted the defect though.

My dev team would be flayed alive if they did that. I work for a very major E-Commerce company.

EDIT:

Actually it’s still broken and always was or so it appears.

The only way to get FLAC files in album order is to add the track number to the start of the filename.

The Album view will then order the tracks as expected but it’s NOT ordering using the tagging so any attempt to use ONLY the track name as the filename results in mis-ordering again. Useless!

I had exactly this problem with a Samsung Android phone last week until I installed a 3rd party music app. You developers need to wake up!