Firmware update removed all my data

My my cloud (model WDBCTL0040HWT) was bricked some months ago. After some hours digging I found out that a firmware update could solve the issue giving me back access to all my data. After I did the firmware update (going to version 2.31.195) and connected back to my network I saw that all my data was lost… The device is running but no data was found…

I never made a back-up of the data (I should have known better), so my only option was finding a solution to get back the data.

I started executing yahavrave his solution to solve my data loss issue. link: How to recover deleted files - #7 by jrevenson

On topic 4 I had my issue and did not found a solution how to continue.

Yahavrave solution:

1. Stop any activity which might overwrite deleted files on your device (ie, don’t copy any new files to your device)
  2. Log into your webinterface and activate SSH. (SSH allowes you to interface with your device via command line)
  3. Connect via SSH to your device. This can be done from windows using Putty . Enter "Root"for username and “welc0me” is the default password.
  4. Install TestDisk package using apt-get (package management for debian): “apt-get install testdisk”
  5. after installation you can run PhotoRec from command line: “photorec”
  6. You should recover lost files to another drive than the one you are recovering from. This can be done either by plugging in a usb drive or by mounting a remote drive. Plugging in a usb drive is the simplest and safer option.
  7. if you have limited storage capacity on the destination device and/or don’t want to be waiting a long time for photorec to finish and/or only want to recover some specific files and formats, make sure to change the photorec settings to recover the file types you are interested in.
  8. If you want to recover the entire partition you might be best off using TestDisk.

Point 3 connecting via SSH to my device has been changed. I found that the new connection username is “sshd” and you have to set the password yourself.

Point 4, here I have my issue. I’m not able to install the testdisk on my device. When I write “apt-get install testdisk” I get the message:
root@JHSDBCloud root # apt-get install testdisk
-sh: apt-get: not found

What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me with this issue?

Look at the very last post at the bottom of

apt-get has not worked on default My Cloud firmware for many years. Be careful taking advise for different devices than yours and also with threads like that one that are over 5 years old!

Thank you for your replay! So in other words thier no option how I can get my data back?

This just exemplifies why my WD NAS product is going in the bin soon and is going to be replaced by one from (virtually any) other manufacturer.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Yes … Learn Linux and use a modern Debian install. WD hardware is fine. The WD software is abysmal at best. See Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares" - #1748 by hippyfox for alternative firmware aka OSes for WD hardware.

If you want to stick with the WD firmware the chroot app is nice hack to get an environment where apt-get works but you need to be somewhat familiar with Linux to use chroot and install new packages.

Thanks!

I was fluent in Unix 30 years ago, but I can’t be a*sed to update myself to Linux just to compensate for WD’s NAS software’s deficiencies. I’d rather just buy another manufacturer’s NAS product - this stuff is supposed to be useable by the general public! If my toaster’s software turned out to be pants I’d not learn and install AlternativeToasterSoftware9.7.4, I’d just buy a new toaster. WD NAS ===> expensive toaster.

–N.

Nefeco;

OK. . .I’ll bite: What did WD do to you? I have seen a few negative posts from you.

For general purpose use. . . .these units have quirks. . .but generally work. The mycloud app and the wd.com access pretty much works as advertised. These things function great as a network drive.

Bear in mind that the “MyCloud” series is functionally obsolete? (i.e. no longer sold). . . . so the quirks are likely to multiply over time. (Of course, the Passport wireless devices, EX2 NAS’s and the Pro series are still sold. . . and have most of the same defects)

Also; admittedly the “app” support (i.e. plex and various backup packages) on these units is . . . sketchy at best.

Personally:
I like my WD units.
I have more than I care to admit.
Are there other choices? You know there are.
Would I buy another WD unit. . . frankly no . . .because of the software.
Would I decommission my existing units. . . . frankly no. . .because they work.

Then clearly WD is not for you and you can move on. Personally I think Synology does a nice job with their software. I also have used UNIX for over 30 years well actually 29 years. I still will on occasion boot up an early 90’s AIX server with Motif ! The perl/tk gui apps I made decades ago are simple , butt ugly, functional and practical.