Firmware & OS-5

Please know that I’m not tech savvy. My son set up a NAS system for me several years ago. I keep getting e-mails that my support is changing and I need to upgrade to OS-5. However, as best I can tell from the research I’ve done, it’s not available for my particular My Cloud. I’m assuming I can still use my system? Or do I need to purchase a new one?

Also, I’ve been trying to determine which Firmware version is on My Cloud, but I can’t figure out how to access that information either.

I appreciate any help/suggestions.

Account the My Cloud Dashboard. It will show the firmware version.

How to Access the Dashboard on a My Cloud Device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27432

My Cloud OS3 End of Service
https://www.westerndigital.com/mycloudupdates

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

The following My Cloud models do not support being updated to OS5:

My Cloud (P/N: WDBCTLxxxxxxx-00)
My Cloud Mirror
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX4

Thanks for the information. One more question please. (Again, excuse my ignorance.) If My Cloud is connected to my wifi modem, I assume that constitutes a local network, and I’ll still be able to use it?

Would your recommendation be to purchase a new My Cloud that has OS 5 (or can be upgraded to OS 5)?

Yes, you can still access your MyCloud over your local wifi/wired network but you won’t be able to access it from outside you home after April (look on the bottom - if it ends in -00 you can’t upgrade it, if it ends in -01 you can upgrade it).

Got it. Thanks so much for the help!

Yes. You would still be able to access the My Cloud on your local network.

It is however recommended, when WD terminates support for OS3 that OS3 My Cloud users turn off Cloud Access/Remote Access in the My Cloud Dashboard. Further it is strongly recommended that one block broadband access to their OS3 My Cloud in their router firewall administration settings. One can google their router’s model to find information on how to access it’s administration screen and how to possibly block broadband access to specific network clients like the OS3 My Cloud.

If you need remote access to the OS3 My Cloud then one would have to setup their own method(s) of remote access to their unit once WD terminates the OS3 remote access next April. Setting up such methods of secure remote access can be done but typically requires additional computer knowledge and skill. If one doesn’t need or use remote access then their unit will continue to operate as it does today when WD terminates OS3 support in April.

If one is going to buy a new network attached storage device (NAS) to replace a non updatable OS3 My Cloud, I would strongly recommend one review NAS devices from other manufacturers (Synology, QNAP, etc.) and not just those from WD. And the general recommendation from many users is to not buy a My Cloud Home device thinking it’s a direct replacement for a My Cloud device. It is not! The My Cloud Home is a different device with different operating system (not OS5) and different features.