Files deleting after transfer from mac and other external HD

Hi,

I just bought the WD 2TB EasyStore external drive. When I transfer files from my Mac or another drive they download and then vanish. This is ridiculous, waiting hours for files to download and then they disappear.

I need a solution right now. Thank you!

Hi @jlp,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

There could be several reasons why your transferred files are disappearing. Here are some troubleshooting steps to identify and resolve the issue:

1. Check the file transfer process: Make sure you’re copying or moving the files correctly. Double-check the destination folder on your WD EasyStore drive to ensure the files are actually being transferred there.

2. Verify the available storage space: Confirm that your WD EasyStore drive has enough free space to accommodate the transferred files. If the drive is nearly full, you may need to delete unnecessary files or consider using a larger external drive.

3. Check for hidden files: Sometimes, files may appear to be missing because they are hidden. On your Mac, open Finder, go to the external drive, and press Command + Shift + Period (.) to reveal any hidden files.

4. Confirm file system compatibility: Ensure that your WD EasyStore drive is formatted in a file system that is compatible with both your Mac and the other drive you’re transferring files from. Ideally, it should be formatted in a file system like exFAT, which works well with both macOS and Windows.

5. Check for errors on the drive: Run a disk check or scan on your WD EasyStore drive to identify any potential errors. On macOS, you can use the built-in Disk Utility application to perform a First Aid check on the drive.

6. Test the drive on a different computer: Connect the WD EasyStore drive to another computer, preferably one running a different operating system, and see if you encounter the same issue. This will help determine if the problem is specific to your Mac or if it’s related to the drive itself.

7. Update drive firmware and software: Visit the official Western Digital website and download any available firmware updates or software specifically designed for your WD EasyStore drive.

8. Contact WD Support: If the issue persists, it’s advisable to reach out to Western Digital’s customer support.

Remember to back up any important files before attempting any troubleshooting steps that involve modifying or formatting the drive. Further, in case of any data loss situation, you can try using data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery, to recover any lost or deleted data from any storage device.