'[FAQ] Twonky DLNA Media Server Setup & Use

By chance do you know the links in faq are dead

Also is there a proper guide to fix when twonky was working ok but now insists on me entering a username and password that was never set

I mean a full guide after
192.168.1.180:22

sshd
password

eg what do you type at this point to get to the dir where the INI file is to either edit it or delete it.

so

ls shows things but not consistently

this is what seems to be need but doesn’t exist /CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini

cd / is not working everytime

eg

cd /mnt

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/.twonkymedia/twonkyserver.ini <doesn’t exist

so why was I being asked to input a username password all of a sudden

It gets even worse

Having not been able to achieve getting rid of the username password promt using ssh due to my limited forgotten basic knowledge and failing eyesight.

I thought I would use the quick restore option as I was told it wouldn’t delete my files on the drive, well that was wrong cos it’s deleted all my data. [edit] youtube video I watched. The [i] next to this option in gui says different but it is so small it’s ridiculous, very silly having it this small when it is so important.

I’m disgusted in myself for buying this and in the actual WD EX2 Utra hardware and software it isn’t fit for purpose. I mean I couldnt even get plex to play Mpeg2 on it without a message saying hardware isn’t good enough with a bitrate just over 5000 and yet some mp4 with bitrate 10,000 played ok.
I’ve since seen the NAs gogle doc with all No all the way across the spreadsheet
Sorry but this device is £400 and it’s apalling at being the one thing it is sold as

The intial Twonky FAQ posts are from 2015. Since then WD has changed their WD Support Knowledgebase layout/website so those links may no longer work. One can see the WD Support site and do a search through the Knowledgebase articles for Twonky. There are some 69 articles apparently.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/list/kw/Twonky/page/1

It should be noted that the EX2 Ultra is a different device than the single bay My Cloud (the general subject of this subforum). As such what works on a single bay My Cloud to fix certain Twonky issues may not apply to multi bay My Cloud models like the EX2 Ultra. As for Plex, the single bay/single drive My Cloud does not officially support running the Plex Media Server. It can serve as media storage library for a Plex Media Server running on another device. If Plex has to transcode the media (like MPEG2) for the client device to play it, it will fail as Transcoding is not supported on most of the My Cloud devices that support the Plex Media Server. The solution is to re-encode the media into a format that the client device can support (like MP4 or MKV for example).

One can see the current Plex supported NAS document at the following link. As that document indicates hardware or software transcoding is not supported on the EX2 Ultra.

I referenced said google doc in my post as I’'ve already seen it.

As for Plex ; Direct play should not be failing when file being selected to play is A already an MKV (this is container codec is still realy and mpeg2 though so no play) [B] this is My pc trying to play these files and therefore my PC can play them so transcode should not be even needed to serve the files from WD when the pc can play them directly. I obviously don’t know what plex means by direct play/direct stream if it doesn’t work like that.

Thanks and sorry for wrong thread I assumed with a name of WD MYCLOUD EX2 ULTRA it was part of the family.

Did anyone figure out what to do with password and username with Twonky on EX2 Ultra ? I noticed that many ppl have the same problem !

any idea how to enable twonky on OS5 ?

This subforum doesn’t deal with OS5 as the single bay My Cloud is not supported under OS5. When this unofficial user created FAQ was created OS5 didn’t exist.

Best to check the My Cloud OS5 User Manual for your device (https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/125/). For example, according to the OS5 User Manual for the EX2 Ultra (https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/ex2ultra/index.html):

Enabling DLNA with Twonky Server

Use the following steps to enable DLNA media service with your My Cloud device.

1. On the Navigation bar, click Apps and in the left panel click Twonky Server .
  2. Set the Run app toggle to On if not already enabled.

Note: Media Streaming is OFF by default. The media server must be enabled before you can provide media serving for a share. (See “Creating a New Share” for instructions on how to enable media serving on a share.)

DLNA Devices

See specific DLNA media device user manuals for instructions on connecting a DLNA device to your local area network so you can access content on the My Cloud device. Go to http://www.dlna.org for a list of DLNA-certified devices and for further information.

I have this set up as it shoud or as it was in OS3, it was working before, but with OS5 twonky wants a user and pasword and there is nothing i can do, no user/password works, can’t change any of the settings!

twonky|604x500

Is this page still active? I learned a lot from it and solved some of my relatively simple Twonky issues. I still have an issue with the music data in the Twonky db. I have cleaned up my metadata and still have some of the old metadata showing up: 1) same album listed in two spots with 2 different artist, ie The Platters & Platters. All the files show Platters for Album Artist & Author. 2) several other instances of this. I have rescanned & rebuilt the DLNA db in the My Cloud Mirror and rescanned/rebuilt/clear cache in the Twonky server app. Still can’t figure this out. Most updates have been updated in Twonky. If there is another place to post this, just let me know. Firmware version is what I believe is the last one: 2.12.127

Again this subforum deals with OS3 issues. You should see the OS5 subforum where users more familiar with that firmware may be able to assist. Its possible the upgrade to OS5 may change or update Twonky.

A very quick internet search for “twonky password” brings up the following link detailing how to reset the Twonky password to default. It may or may not work to reset a Twonky password to blank/default.

https://www.skipbytes.com/how-tos-and-trouble-shooting/how-to-reset-twonky-media-server-password/

You have a Twonky media server running – you went on summer vacation and now you don’t remember any more your Twonky Media Server password. Here is how to reset Twonky media server password.

Lets support your Twonky Server is accessible at 192.168.1.5 IP address.

Open Browser and type http://192.168.1.5:9000/rpc/reset
Press Enter and you will be able to see a message in the browser tab confirming that Twonky media server has been reseted.
Open another tab in your browser and type http://192.168.1.5:9000/ and start configuring your twonkey server. It will not bring any password prompt.

Be sure to replace 192.168.1.5 IP address with actual Twonky Media Server IP address.

This procedure on a single bay My Cloud generates the following message when run: reset to defaults!

Edit to add: If the above method for resetting the username/password for Twonky doesn’t work then see the following post for editing the twonkyserver.ini file using SSH (or similar method):

One may have to search for the twonkyserver.ini. On my first gen My Cloud it was located in /DataVolume/cache/twonkymedia/. After removing the user name from accessuser= and the password from accesspwd= and then saving the file, I had to turn the Twonky server Off in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Media then turn it back On. That cleared the Twonky username/password on the Twonky administration page for me on a first gen single bay My Cloud when the other method above didn’t work.

Couple of suggestions. This assumes one is seeing the issue with a DLNA client and not with using the WD My Cloud app for iOS or Android. Remove the album from the Twonky monitored share, let Twonky rebuild and rescan its database, then add the album back and see if the issue remains. Not sure what app or program you are using to edit the metadata on the media files, but if using Mp3tag one may have to right click on the media file and end select “Extended Tags” to see all of the metadata tags of the media file. Then review those tags carefully to ensure they are correct, and or removes those you don’t need.

One troubleshooting step is to remove all the tags (for example in Mp3tag right click on the media file and select “Remove tag”). Then have Twonky rebuild it’s database and see if the issue persists on the problematic album. If the issue clears, add in the metadata; Title, Artist, Album, Track, Album Artist, Composer and see if the issue comes back.

Ok- so great questions. Sorry, I did not think to include that info… I am using Mp3tag to change the metadata. I looked at the extended and didn’t see anything wrong. My client media player is HEOS. I will try your suggestions and update the post. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok- so your suggestion was the trick to finding the supposedly modified & duplicate items in the twonky db. I deleted the good folder of songs and the other was still there. It dawned on me that there might really be another folder somewhere. I had previously searched using Windows explorer, but never found anything. I realized that my back-up software Goodsync creates a folder of deleted/modified files that it holds for a while. Apparently, it is a hidden folder. I deleted all of the ‘saved deleted’ files and all of the errant Twonky references disappeared. Twonky was doing exactly what is was designed to do. Thanks for the suggestion on deletion. Really very basic troubleshooting, but I often need a push to move logically!

Not sure if this is the right spot for this question on DLNA/Twonky/NAS/TV, if not, please redirect me: I have a Samsung smart TV that sees My Cloud Mirror share that is for music only. In Twonky, I had set up a 2nd share, the first listed is for music only and the second is for video only, but the video was never seen. My TV only sees a video if it is placed in the first listed share and the share is changed for Music & Video. Playing with this, it appears that the TV only looks at the first share. I find no settings on the TV nor in the manual for looking at/pointing to shares in the NAS. Do you have any experience in DLNA on Samsung TV’s or others? Is this typical behavior of DLNA that it only looks at one share? Seems like my solution is to make a common share for all video, music, picture in a master folder with appropriate sub-directories unless you have a better idea.

Have you enabled media serving on the 2nd Share that contains the video?

Is the video in a Twonky supported format?

Sometimes one has to rebuild the Twonky/DLNA media server database via the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Media page or from the Twonky Media Server administration page (example: http://wdmycloud:9000).

For anyone having an issue with Twonky demanding a username and password, WD Support now has a Kowledgebase article dealing with that issue.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30063/

OK- the video is compatible, mp4 and I have viewed it on the TV when I put it into my first share. I also put copies of the video into various folders to match the share and changed the name to match the location for easier identification on the TV. Per your suggestion, I rebuilt the db from the dashboard. I can see every video except the one in the Public/Shared Videos. My folder structure is Public/Shared Videos, /Public/WDMyCloud Docs/Myy Music, /Public/WDMyCloud Docs/Myy Videos. I can see videos in all except Public/Shared videos. I cannot even navigate to it on my TV when I hunt by folder in the Twonky db. Please refer to the picture

Expand the Media Receiver section on that same page (indicated in the screen capture) where you can review the media receivers that Twonky thinks your DLNA clients are using. Its possible it has selected the wrong Media Receiver for your TV (or the problematic device). If mismatched, one can change the media reciver to more closely match the playback device.

Make sure to update the smart TV/DLNA client playback device. One may have to close the client DLNA media player app and then open it back up/start it back up to get new content to be displayed.

Also one can reset, clear and perform other operations to the Twonky database on the Twonky Advanced page.

Another option is to move the media out of the Public/Shared Videos into another Share that has Media Serving enabled. Personally I hate that WD doesn’t allow one to (officially) set the Public Share to Private. Because of this I typically don’t even use the Public Share. YMMV I personally have individual Shares for each collection of media (music, tv, movies, audiobooks, etc.)

And one final comment. Avoid special characters in media file names. Its possible Twonky will ignore the media file with special characters. Also as a troubleshooting step, remove the missing media file’s metadata and have Twonky rescan the media. Sometimes incorrect or corrupted metadata can cause strange things to happen with DLNA media servers.

OK, so I adjusted the type of device associated with the TV to Samsung Smart TV in the Media Receiver section. I also noticed that while all of the /Public sub-directories I was using were listed in the Twonky UI as shares, the Media Server function was not turned on in the dashboard for /Public…??? Don’t know how that would work since I have been playing media for some time. Also, one of the earlier steps to rebuild the db thru the dashboard crashed all of my Heos music media player’s playlists. The playlists were not of the right songs and the images did not match the song being played. So I started rebuilding them. Seems like most everything is now working. I can see a test.mp4 in any directory that I add to the shares in Twonky. Thanks for the help-Mike

Smart TV’s and similar devices often have two methods of accessing media on the local network. One is using DLNA. The other is using some kind of file manager type program to access local network devices, typically using the SMB protocols. This is similar to how one accesses the My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder The second method likely explains why, when (or if) Media Serving option is disabled on a Share using the My Cloud Dashboard, that the Smart TV or device was still able to access media in that Share on the My Cloud.

I have a WD "2-Bay Personal Cloud Storage” system that has been running Twonky to stream music just fine ‘forever’. Recently, although Twonky still lets client devices navigate the content, when an item is selected to play, it fails. The error reported depends on the client device - one says “network timeout”, another just hangs, another says “cannot play song”. I suspect this problem started after the WD firmware was auto-upgraded to 5.08.115, but I can’t be certain of that.

I’ve tried stopping/starting Twonky, and I’ve removed and reinstalled the Twonky app. I’m running Twonky Server 8.5.1-1, and the web interface status doesn’t show any errors.

My next step was to turn on logging, but I’ve been unable to do so. Through the Twonky web UI, I select the “Enable logging” checkbox and click on “Save Changes”. All looks good, but if I navigate away and then back to the System Settings page, Enable logging has been unchecked. And sure enough, nothing has been added to the log file — it just contains the messages from Startup.

I’d appreciate any help either with my original streaming issue or making Twonky logging work.

(Sorry if this post is in an inappropriate location.)

TIA.