External Drive My Book Duo RAID 1 not mounting (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244)

Hi, Sorry for this repeated subject about mounting external drives, but I’m burning out my mind for 3 days with completely different solutions and none of them solved my issue (tuxera/killing the fsck terminal, Waiting to mount again, etc).

My Book Duo 16TB set as RAID 1 (WDBFBE0160JBK-EESN) formatted as HFS+ suddenly is not mounting anymore in my Mac (Catalina 10.15.6). I’ve already changed the cable (USB-C, USB3, tested in another Mac). It’s a 3 months old external drive, worked flawlessly until yesterday. I’ve bought it especially because it’s RAID and in theory safer for my backups.

It turns on, both hard drives spin, the WD Discovery sees as My Book Duo, I can turn led on or off for the case/enclosure but all the time I press “Mount” nothing is happening. I’ve downloaded Wd Drive utilities, The app recognises the “my book duo”, passes all tests (SMART status / Quick Drive Test / Complete drive test) but there’s nothing else. I’ve disconnected it, restarted my computer, and it is still not mounting it. When I press “mount” it spins the first disk, then the second, the front LED light pulses but nothing else happens. Tested in 3 different MacBook Pro (2014/2015/2018 - USB-C and USB3), the same.

Via Disk Utility I can see the drive, both as the image attached. When I try to ‘Mount’ it, this is the error message: Could not mount “My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)

When I try to First Aid it: Invalid sibling link / The volume My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1 could not be repaired. / File system check exit code is 8. / Restoring the original state found as unmounted.

File system verifies or repair failed. : (-69845)

Is there a specific recurrent issue like this that could lead me to fix the problem? I have some important data on this disk (I was using it as a reliable backup RAID 1 but now it’s stressing me.

I’m attaching the EtreCheck report as additional text and all the log/specification data from this HD too.

Any help would be valuable. I’m completely devastated with this and lost 2 days of sleeping frustrated with this issue.

Many thanks
Ralph

(This is a quick log I’ve created)

When trying to mount it via Disk Utility: ----------------------------
Could not mount “My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.)

Specs from Disk Utility

My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1 USB External Physical Volume • Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Volume name : My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1
Volume type : Physical Volume
BSD device node : disk3s2
File system : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection : USB
Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/PEG1@1,1/UPSB@0/DSB2@2/XHC2@0
Writable : No
Is case-sensitive : No
File system UUID : 2BD992A6-8DB3-37E1-81A8-E13A1C4EC645
Volume capacity : 8,001,187,438,592
Owners enabled : No
Is encrypted : No
Can be verified : Yes
Can be repaired : Yes
Bootable : No
Journaled : No
Disk number : 3
Partition number : 2
Media name :
Media type : Generic
Ejectable : Yes
Solid state : No
SMART status : Not Supported
Parent disks : disk3

WD My Book Duo 25F6 Media USB External Physical Disk • GUID Partition Map
Volume type : Physical Device
BSD device node : disk3
Connection : USB
Device tree path : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/PEG1@1,1/UPSB@0/DSB2@2/XHC2@0
Writable : No
Is case-sensitive : No
Volume capacity : 8,001,531,412,480
Available space (Purgeable + Free) : 0
Purgeable space : 0
Free space : 0
Used space : 8,001,531,412,480
Owners enabled : No
Is encrypted : No
Can be verified : No
Can be repaired : No
Bootable : No
Journaled : No
Disk number : 3
Media name : WD My Book Duo 25F6 Media
Media type : Generic
Ejectable : Yes
Solid state : No
SMART status : Not Supported

First Aid from Disk Utility
---------------------------- First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue.

Running First Aid on “My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1” (disk3s2)

Repairing file system.
Volume is already unmounted.
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -x /dev/rdisk3s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalogue file.
Invalid sibling link
Rebuilding catalogue B-tree.
The volume My Book Duo 8TB RAID 1 could not be repaired.
File system check exit code is 8.
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…

EtreCheck report

disk3 - WD My Book Duo 25F6 8.00 TB
External USB 5 Gbit/s USB
disk3s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
disk3s2 - M********************1 (Journaled HFS+) 8.00 TB

Hi Spegel, I have exactly the same issue. Did you ever resolve?

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

After losing a lot of time digging forums, websites, different solutions and rantings, I’ve figured this HD doesn’t eject and unmount properly when the mac goes sleep or shut down causing this issue. Mine was probably when the mac slept and woke up repeatedly, causing this crash.

I’ve been able to retrieve the data using the following recipe (unfortunately that’s how I did so not sure if there’s a better one)

• I’ve contacted the official company from WD for recovering data and man, they would charge per megabyte so recovering this drive would cost all my economies. Option discarded.

• WD wasn’t helpful, they just offered me a refurbished replacement, but I was concerned with the data not with the hardware. Option discarded.

• I’ve downloaded/bought the Jettison app - Jettison This app eject and unmount any external drive automatically before sleep/shut down. That will helps to protect all the drivers.

• I’ve downloaded the trial for Stellar Recovery and scanned the disk. Professional Data Recovery Software for Mac to Recover Deleted Files - Stellar Data Recovery Professional for Mac

• The scan process took around 3 days (!!!) but found ALL the files and the structure there.

• Unfortunately I had to buy both apps (jettison and Stellar (it’s expensive but I wasn’t in a position to find a magical free solution though). But I was able to select the files I needed to recover.

• IMPORTANT Stellar mentioned they DONT work with RAID. It’s working if you do the following steps: 1- deep scan (3 days) 2- save the scan 3- start immediately to recover the files; if you restart your computer or let the recover for later (I think the way that the RAID balance the data will give you corrupted files so don’t let this step for later. 4- recover your files to anywhere on your computer. 5- format your WD passport. 5- it will be 100% functional and working.

• I did this in July. Recovered the files to my computer, then formatted this idiotic WD Passport, moved back the files and since then (with the Jettison) no issues again.

I’m not trusting in this WD RAID Passport anymore, I’ve bought a simple 1 disk solution to keep my backups and I’m using this RAID as a additional backup and daily files only.

Hope this helps.
Ralph

Have the exact same Issue with a 16tb MyBook Duo RAID.
But i dont have the money to buy another 16tb system just to recover the files i need in a couple of days.

Is there no other way to recover the APFS volume only with one disk)

my config and situation:

• 28TB MyBook Duo
  • Raid 0 with exFat
  • read only when mount with MacOS
  • had error 49244 when repair with Mac Disk Util.
  • No use for rebooting MacOS.

I think I am very lucky that I faced this problem and overcome it by the following steps:

1. switch off everything and then plug out the usb cable of my book duo
  2. open parallel desktop (or a windows PC)
  3. plug in the MyBook Duo
  4. chkdsk and repair
  5. switch off everything again

Thats all, now the MyBook duo can connect MacOS normally.

As Spegel said, this problem is due to Sleep mode of MacOS (may be conflicted by the auto sleep function of W.D. util. ) Now I switch off the auto sleep mode in W.D. Util. and have a trial.

(if the problems cannot be solved, may have to delete the dot-starting hidden files in Windows OS)