Exporting files to usb hard drive

I need to export files from MyCloud Home to an external hard drive. The one I used to upload the files to the device has died leaving me with just the mycloud back up. How do I do this? Thanks in advance

1 Like

The My Cloud home does not currently support exporting to a USB drive. What you can do is install WD discovery so the My Cloud Home is mounted as a drive in explorer and connect the USB drive to the same computer. You can then drag and drop the files from the My Cloud Home to the USB drive.

1 Like

Why should we export this way (the only way to export)
WD My cloud home —> Router -----> Computer —> USB Portable drive.

Why cant WD Enable the direct export option via USB.
WD My cloud home → USB Portable Drive.

3 Likes

Is this an option yet?

WD MyCloud home → USB Portable Drive.

Nope.
We remain reliant upon WD apps so when they stop supporting it, the device will become prematurely end of life.
Just remember to buy a more supporting brand that maybe listens to it’s customer base.

WD,

I am a fan of your products, especially this product. I also primarily use WD Passport drives. That said, had I understood that I am unable to export to USB, I would have selected a separate product, maybe even another vendor. Is there any reason why an app cannot be configured to allow export to USB drives?

Some of us use external drives for portability and redundancy purposes. I understand the desire to want to import data but unless you can guarantee your drive and remote connection will not fail, being able to export to USB would be a tremendous convenience for those of us concerned about redundancy on a budget.

The only option I found to this frustrating problem is this: Break open the device and use the drive in a diskless NAS!! I did it after struggling a lot on the forum but apparently no one from WD cares.

Hey drtechno,

I recently had a my cloud home fail on me. I have a lot of important files still stored on there. However, since it has failed I am unable to access the files obviously. I was wondering if your technique of opening up your My Cloud Home to remove the drive and using it in a diskless NAS allowed you to directly connect that drive to your computer? I am hoping to use this technique to directly connect my drive from my failed my cloud home to my computer and then run it through my software recovery program. Thanks so much. I am in a desperate situation to retrieve these files asap as I have MANY client’s work on there that I recently shot and didn’t back up (yes, I know I should’ve backed it all up immediately but that’s just not my case at the moment). Any info will help & thanks in advance!

Hi James
I think you can recover the data using an external HD desktop enclosure and run recovery software. Using a diskless NAS usually prompts for disk format. I used the WD ultra ex2 but as soon as I installed the disk it prompted for a disk format.
Hope this helps.

That’s very slow - taking weeks for the entire size of the drive. Does it always have to be connected to the internet to use the desktop software?

Hi,
I have a simliar issue, did you manage to extract the data, if so can you let me know what you used.