EX2 Ultra - working on Ethernet but not WIFI?

Hi

I’ve spent 3 days on this and just about to give up - so sorry for troubling you.

I installed a new EX2 Ultra a couple of days ago - i can access it with no issues using the my cloud software - both the local device software where u can set things up and see firmware etc AND the internet mycloud access - ALL GOOD

I can run Acronis true image back up ok as well.

My issue is I can’t see the NAS box in Windows Explorer - ie. to be able to map a network drive or just copy files over with explorer. However, if i connect my laptop to my router with an Ethernet cable all is OK - so it’s only with WIFI over my network that i’m strugling.

I was able to get this working yesterday but as soon as shut down lost it. I think i did something with the IP address.

I’ve googled and tried no end of solutions, including from here and no luck.
I’ve done: Enable SMB / Network is Private / Added Windows Credential for WD My Cloud / Reset the network etc…

In short using windows explorer I can see my cloud ex2 ultra ONLY only if i use ethernet connection - i can’t see it at all using wifi.

Apologies if thats too much background. thanks in advance:)

Hi @uslot,

The guidelines we used to map your drive:

How To Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 10

My Cloud OS 5: Cloud Access Device Offline

thanks for your reply @Keerti_01

however, i am able to map the drive without issue - but ONLY if i am connected to my router via ethernet.

the issue i have is that i can see the EX2 if i’m connected to router via ethernet BUT cannot see it if i’m using wifi.

Hi @uslot,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Interestingly, I have the same issue. I can access the dashboard on my two wifi laptops and the 3 media folders via “media files” but not via file explorer. No issues on my ethernet-connected desktop.

If you open a CMD window. . . .can you ping the NAS from laptop? I suspect you can if you can open the dashboard.

Hmmm. . .I wonder if this is a credentials issue?

Windows is funny that it only allows a SINGLE user to access a given resource. . . so if you have the same address for a long time. . .and you reset everything going from OS/3 to OS/5. . .you may have to wipe some credentials from Windows to make this all work.

@uslot: Same question: When you are on wifi; can you ping the NAS? Can you reach the dashboard from explorer?

I wonder if the wifi connections are using a different subnet than the wired connection (highly doubtful)

Hi @NAS_user - thanks for responding.

I’ve pinged the NAS when connected via ethernet - all good (as expected:)) however, if i pull out the ethernet and connect via wifi the ping fails:

That indicates the problem is in the laptop (transmit failed) rather than the NAS not responding.

Does the machine get onto the internet ok?
Can you ping the router?

What ip address (use the ipconfig) command does the laptop get when on WiFi?
This sounds like a wifi adapter problem.

hi @Nas_user

Yes on wifi gets on internet ok.

Also pings the router ok.

Even though can’t see the NAS on windows explorer Acronis backup can see the NAS and still backs up to it.

I did manage to get it working last week - but as soon as rebooted wouldn’t work again.

Sorry for the hassle… appreciate the replies.

weird.

If you type the address in the Windows Explorer address bar. . .does that work?

(in OS/3. . .it is common to have the unit NOT show up under “network”. This was fixed with OS/5)

hi @NAS_user

unfortunately not.

i can type in Network\MYCLOUDEX2ULTRA when connected via ethernet but as soon as go to wifi it doesn’t see it.

as in screen shot below - when connected via ethernet all ok… when i connect by wifi i only have - Network Infrastructor showing with MR60 (gateway) in it… nothing else…

on Ethernet:

On wifi:

So. . .livebox and te Dell XPS don’t show up either. . . .

This sounds alot like a Wifi adapter problem. Start with rebooting Router and laptop.

Then I would start hardcore Wifi adapter troubleshooting. You might just delete the adapter and “start fresh” by reinstalling.

First. . how are you hooking up “wired”? Is it via USB to a hub that has an ethernet jack?

thanks @NAS_user

hooking up with a type c ethernet adapter - with ethernet direct to the router.

will try what you say - thanks

My home-built Asus Gryphon Z97 Windows 10 i7-4690 desktop sees the EX2 just fine over my wired network. My two Thinkpad I5-6300u computers can access the dashboard but not the file folders over wifi. Yes, I think it’s a laptop windows/network setup issue but I haven’t been able to solve it yet.

I’m going to add a USB wifi adapter to my desktop to see what happens.

You know. . . .I remember a while back that a random Win10 update nuked my ability to connect. . . until I nuked IPV6 wifi capability on the network adaptors.

I’ll check that out, too.