Cannot map My Cloud EX2 Ultra as network drive on Windows 10, but only on Windows 10, and only starting today

This is what my network looks like in Windows Explorer:

As you can see, the My Cloud is recognized as a storage device connected to the network, but I can’t map it as a network drive. I want to stress that this only started today. For the last 2 days, it worked fine. In that time, nothing about my computer or the My Cloud has changed. I don’t even think there has been a Windows update. Furthermore, it still maps perfectly fine on my Windows 7 machine. Even further still, I can actually access the My Cloud’s dashboard through my browser by typing in its IP address, go to Apps, go to the Web File Viewer, and download files from my shares. So everything seems to work, everything seems to be connected and aware of everything else, but somehow I am now not able to map the thing as a network drive, even though it was working automatically as of just yesterday, and I have no idea why it stopped.

Thanks to Bennor for redirecting to the better subforum. SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing is enabled, but I don’t know if that matters since the My Cloud says it’s set to use SMB3.

1 Like

I have EXACTLY the same problem you have. I noticed that the firmware of my MyCloud EX2 was apparently updated yesterday/last night, and today I no longer have access to my files. I try to map the network drive using WD Access, follow the steps outlines and get through Step 6: Select the Share to be mapped. I select the share, and Step 7 - Map Network Drive window will open DOES NOT happen. Simply see nothing. And since ALL of my data is now on the MyCloud EX2 network drive, I am SOL at the moment, not able to access anything. This is extremely frustrating to say the least.

What is the IP address of your EX2?

Can you ping it?

Can you browse to the dashboard using the IP address?

If so, right-click on “This PC” in File Explorer and selected “Map Network Drive…”.

Then choose any unused Drive letter, and enter the following for Folder:

\\IP Address\Public

For example: \\192.168.1.50\Public

Does that work?

1 Like

The salient point was that I was NOT able to get Map Network Drive to pop-up, no matter which way I tried to map the drive in Win10. Problem was not with the drive on the network - it was clearly available on the network, and my other PCs were able to access it. Wound up that the problem was with Windows 10 itself.

I spent well over 2 hours on the phone with an MS Tech Level 1 who simply tried and tried and tried to use System Restore. After the 6th or 7th attempt, I told him that this was not working and I wanted the trouble escalated to a Level 2 tech. He told me that I would have to call back in an hour. OK… So I called back at the number he provided and it was useless - it was to get paid support. Hung up, went back online and used the interactive thing on the MS site to request a phone call. Got it, got a different tech and within a few (5-6?) minutes my system was back in the pink. No idea what the problem was with Win10, and I saw him do nothing special - the mapped drive simply returned, seemingly on its own.

So, between yesterday, last night (until well past 2 am) & today there’s 18 hours of my life I’ll never get back!

I’m also going to share this: from the moment I opened the box, I found major problems. First, a snippet of paper fell out of the box. Wound up being the “instructions” to set this thing up. It basically said to go to website X. I went there and I swear it was a site for something completely different. [Sorry I do not have the specifics in front of me - I was so disgusted that I wound up tossing that snippet of paper out as it was totally useless.] It took me literally hours to get the darn thing set up on my home network. Through trial-&-error and numerous downloads, I finally found the correct piece of software to download and run to get this thing going. That I did actually get it up and running is more dumb luck than anything else. I would NOT recommend this to anyone I know as the setup is so confusing (thank you Western Digital!) that it isn’t worth the time and effort. I am not a networking guru, but I have been using personal computers since 1980 so I am not a newbie by any means. And trying to get a person in tech support at WD is like pulling shark teeth.

So far (5-6 weeks now) the drive is working fine on my network (despite the Win10 problem I had on this one PC) but the hassles and pure hell I had to go through with initial setup, coupled with trying to figure out what the problem was this weekend with this one PC, is just too much. There was no WD tech support for me when I needed it, period. And the stuff on the website helped not at all.

I understand your frustration.

And I was trying to help by asking some basic questions.

Which you still haven’t answered.

I will assume, based on your response, that you did not assign your NAS a static IP.

When your firmware is updated, your NAS will reboot and quite possibly be given a different IP address depending on your local network setup/gear.

And when that happens, you will experience a situation very similar to what you described.

Do yourself a favor and assign your NAS a static IP on your home network.

Yes, this does work. Thank you, that was very simple. Have to agree with drken though, everything from UI to the manual for this thing has been kind of confusing/hasn’t worked properly. I don’t know if I would go so far as to say “don’t get one” to a friend, but I would definitely say “get one, but be ready to have to do at least one weird thing that the manual doesn’t even talk about.”

Glad I could help.

The only single compliant that I have about the EX2 Ultra is them using a small fan, which sometimes must run fast & loud for brief periods.

But they make up for it with their wonderful iPhone/iPad App.

I would love to get the WD PR2100, but at $399 still, totally over priced. The Synology DS218+ is only $299 and a far better value.

I had a similar problem. Brand new EX2 Ultra that I couldn’t map. Tried your advice and the drive is now mapped. Cheers.

In my case assigning a static IP address had no impact. I can’t access the \Public folder. My Cloud still doesn’t see my USB drives.

i have the same problem, my Cloud drive doesnt map. How do i assign a static IP?

Faced this same issue and spent too much time troubleshooting.
In the end, it’s partially documented deep within WD itself:-

1. Try mapping the network drive following this:-
    How to Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 10 and Windows 11

If it fails, do the following steps…

1. Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, which is no longer enabled by default
    How to access files on network devices using SMBv1 on Windows 10 | Windows Central

After that, if you’re still facing access issues to network map your drive and seeing this message -
““Windows cannot access \MYCLOUD-XXXXXX” Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.”

Then you need to enabled guess access, which is disabled by default in newer Windows 10 updates.

1. Refer to this:-
    My Cloud Home: Local Share Access Error Message "Windows cannot access \\MYCLOUD-XXXXXX"

2. And enable Guest Access with these instructions:-
    My Cloud Home: Local Share Access Error Message "Windows cannot access \\MYCLOUD-XXXXXX"

In case the URLs change and become invalid, these are the steps:-

• Type gpedit.msc in the Run Box
  • Within the local Group Policy Editor, select Administrative Templates
  • Select Network
  • Select Lanman Workstation
  • Double click Enable Insecure guest logons option
  • Check the Enable option
  • Select OK
  1. Network drive mapping should work now!