Every File on One Drive is "Format Not Supported"

Seems like every few days I run into a different issue with this device. The most recent one: I added a new external HD (connected to my desktop computer and accessed by the WDTV Live via “Media Library/Windows Shares”) and while all of the videos on the drive are listed on the screen, not a single one will play-- every one returns the “format not supported” error message. Clearly the format is not the issue as there are literally hundreds of videos, and the majority are definitely in supported formats.

Does anyone know what could cause this error to be universally generated for EVERY file?  Thanks.

Guessing won’t work.

Please post a mediainfo-log of one of those files.

WD devices tend to through that error message for too many possible issues

but yes, still check the formatting

some other possibiltiies

incorrect file/share permissions

or using a media server that does not support the file type

JohnS43 wrote:

Does anyone know what could cause this error to be universally generated for EVERY file?  Thanks.

Possibly. . . .  Any time I get this msg, I know the WD got its brains scrambled, so I power down WD and then restart the WD.  Problem gone.

I see this problem once in a while. A full power down and reboot has always solved it.

Well, I’ve tried just about everything suggested and everything I could think of. I’m totally stumped. And I don’t think the problem is with the WDTV Live device either, because the drive in question doesn’t even show up at all as a device on my Blu-Ray.  It’s really frustrating. I have four external hard drives connected to the desktop, and the other three all work fine. I checked the properties and specifications for each drive and can’t find any differences. They’re all NTFS file systems, and all are properly shared as network devices.

The other weird thing that happens with the WDTV and this drive is that “compiling media library” runs continuously when this drive is trying to be added. It NEVER stops until I turn off the device and/or remove that drive from the media library.

Have you taken the drive to a PC and run a chkdsk on it? Also, I would delete the hidden .wd_tv folder.

Agree, and when he connects it to the PC, it likely will detect problems and tell him the disk is hosed and ask if he wants to scan and fix it.  Answer is YES!  Unless the drive is really defective, fixing the file structure will likely fix problems. 

BTW, the hidden  .wd_tv folder will get rebuilt when drive is connected back to media player and player is turned back on.  It basically is a TOC of all files on drive.

Thanks … I’ve already tried checking the disk (no errors) and deleting the wdtv file. No dice. And the drive was always connected to a PC and worked fine there. 

Now I’m moving all the files to another drive and then I’m going to re-format the problem drive and see if that fixes anything. Fingers crossed!

OK, I’m just about ready to throw in the towel on this one. After moving all the files to another drive (one that was already in the Media Library), I still cannot get those files (the ones that were moved) to show up in the Media Library! It’s like they’re haunted or tainted or something! The original files that were on the drive show up, but none of the ones that were moved to it. Even after rescanning several times, no dice. I made sure to turn off “Read Only” and to see that everything else that might affect them was OK, too.

The strange thing is that these files DO show up if I access the drive under “Media Server” or “Windows Shares.” Just not under “Media Library.” The problem is, under Media Server or Windows Shares, the videos randomly freeze up and restart from time to time, which never happens with Media Library. So I really would like to be able to have them uner Media Library. If I could only figure out what might be preventing them from showing up!!!

What file types are those? DLNA servers don’t support a lot and might blank those. And why do you need a media server in the first place? The WDTV can access shares from your PC just fine which also will give you better subtitle support.

What are these files.

What do you believe is different between accessing via network shares and media library.

What happens if you put these files on your PC shared folder.

Hey! I finally got it to work (I hope!)  I cleared out my Media Library altogether and started over from scratch. Bingo! All of the files finally appeared (I had done this before and it didn’t work, so I don’t know what was different this time.) 

But to answer the questions from the two previous posts: all of the files are video files of various types-- there’s no difference between the types of files that were showing up vs. the type that weren’t, so that wasn’t the issue.

Perhaps my real problem is that I don’t really understand the difference among the various ways the device accesses file: Media Library, Media Server, Windows Shares. Can someone either explain or provide a link to a location that explains how these three functions work? That might help me understand what Techflaws said [“And why do you need a media server in the first place? The WDTV can access shares from your PC just fine which also will give you better subtitle support.”]

And RichUK, what and where is my “PC shared folder”?

Thanks as always for all of the responses. I do appreciate your assistance!