Esxi on WD MYCLOUD

It is possible to load ESXi on WD Mycloud as the “FIRMWARE” and if so can someone tell me how.

Again. See the following thread.

Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other “firmwares”
https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714

People have been trying for years to run various operating systems on the My Cloud with limited success. Many have found they have to customize the firmware just to get it run, let alone run properly. Use the forum search feature as well (magnifying glass icon top right). Lots of past discussion on trying to run alternate firmware on these hardware limited devices.

If there is a specific OS you want to run then consider looking into building your own NAS rather than trying to shoehorn it into running on the WD My Cloud’s limited hardware. Plenty of DIY guides out there for building an NAS.

Well the only reason I am wondering is I own one already and wanted to re-purpose it rather than adding it to a landfill :slight_smile: Would LOVE to ESXi on it. Where do you find these DIY guides?

You search the internet using your favorite internet search engine. For example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=build+nas

As previously indicated because of the nature of the My Cloud hardware getting other operating systems to run on it is often a difficult process with very limited results. There are really only one, maybe two, alternate firmware that will run (more or less) as the previously linked thread indicates. If you want to run Ubuntu or ESXi then contact the developers of those operating systems and see if they can port their operating system to the My Cloud hardware architecture. Or start programing/coding on your own to get either OS to operate on the My Cloud platform. But if you are running the single bay My Cloud you’ll find it’s hardware (processor/RAM) is extremely limited and underpowered.

I have been trying to find a Ubuntu install guide for : wdbctl0030hwt-00 do you know where i can find one?

Also is the OS thats on there NOT a Linux based OS i think it is, So is it possible to just install a software like STORJ on it?

You apparently have a first generation single bay My Cloud. It uses a custom version of Linux that has a alternate page file size which makes installing default Linux modules or services typically not possible without recompiling those services/modules for the alternate page file size. You generally cannot do an apt-get or apt install on the first generation single bay My Cloud. Doing so typically will brick (render unusable) the My Cloud unit.

You really, really, really, should consider just upgrading to a newer and better NAS (or build one) rather than trying to spend hours (or days) in a likely fruitless attempt to recompile another operating system to work on the first generation’s limited hardware. You are trying to get something not designed for the My Cloud to work on the 10 year old single bay My Cloud limited hardware. The previous link posted has alternate firmware some have gotten to work, more or less, on the first gen My Cloud.

If you want to add in additional services or modules to the OS3 firmware you can compile your own OS3 firmware using the WD GPL firmware.

WD My Cloud GPL Source Code - Supports 04.xx.xx
https://downloads.wdc.com/gpl/gpl-source-wd_my_cloud-04.05.00-342.zip

Instructions

For build instructions, please refer to the README file(s) in the GPL source code in the available download.

• Please ensure you are using the correct WD My Cloud source code for your firmware version. The GPL source code is firmware specific and is not compatible with My Cloud devices using a different firmware.
  • The firmware version can be found on the opening dashboard user interface of your My Cloud device.
  • Instructions to access the device dashboard can be found at the beginning of Chapter 6 in the user manual.
    WD Documentation