Enquiry regarding My Cloud EX2

I was planning on buying a My Cloud EX2 diskless. I have two 4TB hard drives that I was going to  use with it. My question was when I put in the hard drives, is it going to create the operating system on its own or will it be provided as a CD/DVD when I buy the My Cloud EX2? Any feedback would be appreciated. 

I can’t speak to this personally, as I don’t have a EX2.  However, it does appear that the EX2 is just a smaller version of the EX4 which I do have and with it the OS doesn’t reside on the HDDs so there is no need to “create” the OS.

The only thing you should have to do is to set the RAID mode, which will delete all your data on your drives.  So if you have anything on the drives you are using then you should make sure they are backed up first.

The OS is in flash on the device (EX2). It will operate without HDDs (though there isn’t much point besides setting up all your configurations). 

Hi Ann, I suggest a NAS to everyone and this is really the best choice for home o small office environment and believe me: it’s extremely easy to use. :wink:

The drives must be identical.  The duo supposedly only works with WD and I believe Hitachi…not sure if that also holds true for the EX 2.

The EX2 supports many different drive models from WD and non WD products. See here for drive compatibility info:

EX2 Drive compatibility

Edit:

Not going to the right page. Just click on the compatibility tab on this page.

dorijc wrote:

The drives must be identical.  The duo supposedly only works with WD and I believe Hitachi…not sure if that also holds true for the EX 2.

Drives must be identical only if you choose a mirroring configuration. :wink: