Encryption?

I have seen posts about encryption with this device before, but all have come to the conclusion that it is not possible for this device.

On my WDMC (Gen 1) with the latest firmware (04.05.00-315), I have come across an entry in a log file that seems intriguing.

/var/log/mycloud.log:

2017-08-12T03:01:05.831987-07:00 di=REDACTED notice deviceInfoCollect: { "msgid":"configuration", "ftp_enabled":0, "volume_encryption_enabled":0, "dlna_enabled":0, "cloud_access_config":"disabled", "drive_standby_enabled":1, "language":"DEFAULT", "RAID_mode":"na", "time_machine_enabled":0, "network_config":"static", "auto_update_enabled":0, "iTunes_enabled":0, "ssh_enabled":1 }

The entry "volume_encryption_enabled":0 looks to me like an encryption option that is not activated. Is this just something left over from another WD device’s code? Or, is WD planning on adding encryption in a firmware update?

Hi uploadguy,

You encrypt a RAID volume on a My Cloud drive. Please take a look on the link below:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=16538

On the single bay My Cloud devices there is NO official support for encryption. Currently (per the link the previous poster indicated) only the following My Cloud units support encryption.

My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX2 Ultra
My Cloud EX4
My Cloud EX2100
My Cloud EX4100
My Cloud DL2100
My Cloud DL4100
My Cloud PR2100
My Cloud PR4100

Unofficially it may be possible to enable some form of encryption through the firmware using SSH and modifying the firmware. However, I don’t recall any past discussions where it was successful using the My Cloud firmware.

You may want to look at the discussions that focus on replacing the My Cloud firmware with another firmware/OS to see if any of those firmware/OS support encryption of the hard drive contents.

Hi Bennor,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

You really don’t believe what you just posted do you? From what I’ve read on this forum. Contacting support is like talking to the wall. How many times have people reported problems that are still not fixed. World class support would be monitoring this forum and fixing the problems that are reported.

Why? The single bay My Cloud units, at least my first gen v4.x, do not have a RAID option like the multi bay units have. As such it cannot officially be encrypted using the method you linked to. The OP indicated they had a first gen My Cloud.

Currently if I want to encrypt files/folders I use a separate third party program to do so.

The OP is asking about the "volume_encryption_enabled":0 value they found in the log(s) on their first gen single bay My Cloud unit. If there is an official way that WD Support can enable this on first gen My Cloud units then please post the solution for the OP. If there is an unofficial way to enable volume encryption then hopefully someone will post the method.

Maybe you should try reading the posts more carefully; Bennor is responding to the OP’s question, not asking a question…

Hi cpt_paranoia,

Thanks for the response. We appreciate your feedback.