Edit files remotely

Hi,

I’m deciding which NAS to buy. I’m interested in My cloud 4tb. WDBCTL0040HWT

I want to know if it is possible to edit any files remotely (word, excel, autocad, corel, etc.) without having to previously download it to the pc I’m remotely accessing with.

I don’t want to download the file, edit it, and then re-upload the edited file. Is too uncomfortable.

I have to use an app to do this or I can edit it directly from Windows Explorer or a web browser like Firefox?

Thinkin that maybe I’ll access from a public pc and want to have the possibility to edit it directly.

I’ll appreciate any comments. Thanks

from a public PC you could map a drive from the wd2go.com website, this only works with Windows and does require Java. I have had some issues with files over 200MB. Does the public PC have the programs you are using? they would need it and this could be an issue.

from a private PC I would instal the WD Mycloud app and use this fro remote access.

I have never tried the programs you use but I do edit file with Open Office with no issues so the my cloud supports it

1 Like

The WD Mycloud app lets you open, edit, and save a file without having to download it?

You use Open Office, why? There is a problem opening word or excel files with Microsoft Office?

Can I install the app in a tablet, ipad, or samsung GT-B5510L with android 2.3.6?

It works the same way in a pc that in a ipad, tablet or smartphone?
Can I edit files in those devices?

If I access via wd2go.com, you had issues editing or downloading / uploading files over 200MB ?

I have to repeat the mapping procedure every time I disconnect and re-connect to the wifi wherever I am?

WebDAV Is this the protocol that uses the wd2go.com web to access the NAS? Or what is it?

Can i set a VPN?

Another issue: if I have some ip cameras, the NAS, and a smart tv compatible with DLNA (I have the Sony bravia KDL-32EX655) in my LAN at home and others ip cameras outside, let’s says in my workplace can I stream them live and see them live in my smart tv?
Does the NAS play a role here or i don’t need it to make this happen?   

Then, I’d also like to record some piece of video of the ip cameras on the NAS to see it at other moment. This is possible?

Maybe this isn’t the right product for me. Recommend me please.
I was thinking of 1-bay because of the price. I can make backup of the NAS in a desktop pc I usually use to have redundancy. The NAS has a function to automatically backup to a pc in the LAN?

Q: The WD Mycloud app lets you open, edit, and save a file without having to download it?

A: No, you will have to download it … make your changes … upload the new file. (I only used Microsoft Office for testing)

Q: You use Open Office, why? There is a problem opening word or excel files with Microsoft Office?

A: You can use Microsoft Office. Read above.

Q: Can I install the app in a tablet, ipad, or samsung GT-B5510L with android 2.3.6?

It works the same way in a pc that in a ipad, tablet or smartphone?

A: I know you can install the Mobile App on an IPad. No it does not work the same way as the Desktop App for your PC.

The My Cloud does not support IP Cameras.

I really think you need to look into a Synology or QNAP NAS to get the functionality you are looking for. The My Cloud has many issues and “Cloud Access” security is one of the main ones.

Thanks SectorGZ.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2MDLXZ2IIc in minute 1:10 makes you believe you can use WD Mycloud app remotely and lets you open, edit, and save a file without having to download it. But you have this nas, you use it, and say that to edit files you will have to download it, make your changes and upload the new file. I’m confused.

Also in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078xdmH1DiM in minute 8:15 shows the desktop app and how he edits a txt file right there in the app, but I don’t know if he’s doing it locally. Then he said that it work like dropbox. I’ really very confused. Can you edit without downloading or not?

If I access via wd2go.com the drive is mapped to windows explorer. So, there I can edit files without downloading them?

Can I set a VPN with this NAS?

Ok. I’ll look into Synology and QNAP. Do you recommend some model?

I guess it depends on the app if you can edit without downloading. In open office with the Windows desktop app I can open / edit / save without a seperate download & upload. I only us MS office at work so have not tried it with the mycloud

behind the scene it will always do a download and upload, I am just talking about steps I need to do

First SectorGZ said:

"Q: The WD Mycloud app lets you open, edit, and save a file without having to download it?

A: No, you will have to download it … make your changes … upload the new file. (I only used Microsoft Office for testing)"

And now larryg0 says the opposite:

“In open office with the Windows desktop app I can open / edit / save without a seperate download & upload.”

I’m confused. Using the app, I have to download the file to edit it or not?

larryg0: “I guess it depends on the app if you can edit without downloading” .  Why?

larryg0: “behind the scene it will always do a download and upload” 
You mean that when you’re in the app remotely and clic a file to open it and edit it creates a temporary file in that pc you’re accessing remotly from? When reboot the pc it should be deleted, right?

aleb21 wrote:

Hi,

I’m deciding which NAS to buy. I’m interested in My cloud 4tb. WDBCTL0040HWT

I want to know if it is possible to edit any files remotely (word, excel, autocad, corel, etc.) without having to previously download it to the pc I’m remotely accessing with.

Locally or remotely the files will reside on the hardisk.

All applications needs to download the file somewhere. For example. You tell Word to open a document, word will open the document by downloading into PC’s memory/buffer (simplifying here) but also might create a temporary file on the host PC OR could be on the same drive/share (each application is different) so that it can autosave changes while you are editing in case something happened half way, like power cut or loss of connectivity so that you don’t lose your work.

In theory, and hard to say for sure for every applicaton, the temporary files will be deleted when you fully save the edited document, same for Photos etc.

So 2 things to consider when editing remotely, if you lose connection there might be a copy (the temporary file) residing on the host PC.

Secondly, even if the temporary file is deleted, it is not deleted until you shred it for good so that it is unreocverable by simple undelete.

How much you trust the host PC is up to you.

I don’t want to download the file, edit it, and then re-upload the edited file. Is too uncomfortable.

I have to use an app to do this or I can edit it directly from Windows Explorer or a web browser like Firefox?

Thinkin that maybe I’ll access from a public pc and want to have the possibility to edit it directly.

I’ll appreciate any comments. Thanks

1 Like

Ok.

suppose I use my private lapton to connect remotely.

Using the app, I have to download the file to edit it or not?

Ok.

Suppose I use my private lapton to connect remotely. Using the app, I have to download the file to edit it or not?

The file is cached in memory for the time you have it open from the remote app.  Any changes you make are applied to that cached file and then sent back to the cloud to replace the original with the same name.

When opening excel files from the cloud through the wd app the title of the file has ~xxxxxxx~original-filename.xxx meaning the file is cached in a location on your machine temporarily for the purpose of being able to edit the file.

When you close and save your changes the changes are first saved to the cache file and then sent back to the cloud device to replace the original file with the new file keeping the same name.  This is all done in the background by the wd app/program.

What you are probably seeking is a sync feature like dropbox.  Dropbox syncs files across your devices so that even if you are offline or not connected to the cloud you can make offline changes to the files and then it would be synced according to the newest modified file timestamp.  The caveat to any sync service is that the sync client must be installed on all devices you want to sync to.

Ok. So using the app, I don’t need to download the file to edit it.

I don’t want somtheing like dropbox. I want all my files in the NAS, nothing in my laptop.

What’s the advantage of using a VPN over the app?

Using a vpn allows you to create a secure tunnel to your home or other network.

If you are able to vpn into your home network you would be able to map the cloud as if you were directly connected to your home network.

This has the advantage of not actually having to use the wd app/program but instead access the cloud “directly” via network mapping.

Can i set a VPN with this WD My cloud NAS ?

Some people told me it has no support. But can you do it or not?

VPN is best serviced by its own server and having clients connect to it.

I would not recommend trying to use the mycloud as a vpn server.