Easystore 5TB Transfer Rate / Speed M1 Macbook Pro

This drive is advertised with a Transfer Rate of 5Gbp/s which equals 625 MB/s

The max read write speeds are no where near those speeds. At most, using a USB C to USB Micro-B cable to the WD Easystore 5TB Drive, I’m only getting around 110 MBp/s - I’m plugging the cable from the WD Drive directly to a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro MAX.

This cable should be able to handle 10Gbp/s speeds so it’s not the cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012V56992/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I formatted the drive using Disk Utility using a APFS Encrypted Format.

Why the slow transfer rates?

Hi @webauthor ,

Title: Common Causes of Slow External and USB Flash Drive Performance and Data Transfer Rates
Link: Common Causes of Slow External and USB Flash Drive Performance and Data Transfer Rates

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Thank you for the canned response but it seems you didn’t read my post. It’s a really simple question. Can someone expect to get 625MBs using a 5TB Easystore portable USB drive? Everywhere I’ve looked everyone is saying no - the max transfer rate is about 140MBs - Which is it? Please no more canned responses. Waiting a week for a canned response really ■■■■■.

Thanks,

Run a HD Tune read benchmark against the drive. The resulting graph should show a monotonically decreasing curve.

140 MB/s sounds plausible.