Poor network performance

We have connected the ShareSpace to a 1GB port on our core switch.  Our servers are also connected to 1GB ports.  We are seeing very slow data transfer rates and need to resolve this.  What is the duplex setting for the ShareSpace?  We do not have jumbo frames enabled.  Is that a requirement for high transfer rates? 

Can the ShareSpace be connected as a USB drive for the initial multi-terrabyte transfer (undesireable, but we need a solution)?

I am having the same issue. I just purchased an 8TB with the Gigabit Ethernet connection and I am getting between 10-11 mb/sec transfer rates. Not sure what the issue is. I am contacting WD to see if they have a solution. Anyone have a solution, please let me know. Thank you

10-11 in both direction ?

Uploading to device i have the same Performance

Downloading its a littlebit better 20-24 mb/s

Connecting via SSH an device shows , that there is not realy more speed availible

CPU Load of the device is while copying files at 100%

looks like the 500Mhz Processor is to small for more speed.

but i have testet out other devices (not from WD) there are not realy faster

Did you try connecting it via USB? If so, was the performance any better?

Hi, I have this drive too.

And i have tested it and it’s very slow !

It comes from this ShareSpace, because the same source to a computer with 1Gbit (Lan) and it’s arround 60-70.

I have try with RAID0 and the same thing.

So i comeback in RAID5 and the time to initialise it, it’s about 2500 minutes (it’s long long).

At next time i will look deep, because i’m thinking that is really speed like we can see on the packing.

I will ask WD to find solution because it’s wrong information.

I’m having speed problems as well… uploading ranges from 6-10MBps. I’ve forced the speed and duplex settings on my PC’s ethernet port to ‘1000Mbps Full Duplex’ which has made a slight improvement and now I’m uploading at 10-12MBps. Still this is way too slow. Downloading, I’m getting nearer to USB speeds at around 27MBps.

All my devices (PC, switch, router) are gigabit, so I can’t see why my transfer rates to the ShareSpace are so slow.

One of the main reasons for me buying this was because of it’s gigabit connection. I’m very dissapointed and am considering sending it back for a refund.

It is a slow unit period. It’s too bad but I guess WD was aiming at the bottom of the market.  To get better speed you will need to build you own or invest in a unit from QNAP, Thecus, etc, that have much better throughput… 

That’s what I’ve decided to do… I’ve just put together my own home storage/media server. I already had a case, motherboard, power supply, CPU and graphics card so bought some RAM and five 1.5TB hard drives. To be honest if I didn’t already have the spare parts, the whole thing would have cost twice as much as the ShareSpace. As it stands, the RAM and hard drives cost me around £50 more than the ShareSpace.

Four of the drives have been configured as RAID5 with the 5th as a spare. I’ve installed Wild Media Server which is able to stream my MKV videos to my TV. I get 4TB (at RAID5) of storage instead of the ShareSpace’s 2.7TB, plus a spare HDD. Initial tests give me a transfer rate around 40MBps compared to the ShareSpace’s 10MBps.

Being a newbie to NAS drives and media servers, I blame myself for buying something that didn’t meet my needs… I was blinded by WD’s marketing, the fact that the ShareSpace is DLNA certified and the comparitively low price… Lesson learned!

Sorry WD, but the ShareSpace is going back!

I have exactly the same problem, I paid almost 1,800 USD for my 8TB and i am very disappointed. WD clearly says that the transfer rate is even better than a USB 2.0 which is not close to the truth, they even have a chart some where on their site. i have a linksys Gigabit router which indecates the contection speed (10/100 or gigabit) and the port that is connected to my WD sharespace indecates normal connection (10/100). if i new this before, i would have not paid any money for this device. i am a loyal customer for WD and my concern is: can i trust the info they provide about their products!. i will be chaising the distributer fo a refund. 

I received my WS SS some days ago as I’d like to use it as an external backup system for my OS X Server system.

But as other mentioned here, the network performance is very disappointing. I started with 40kb/s and after I deactivated IP6 on the mac, it raises up to 400kb/s. But, to backup 1.6 TB data, this will take month.

Systems are connected over 1Gbits Ethernet. To be honest, I was expecting more of the ShareSpace, especially when I read to product descriptions.

Suggest to WD, that AFP is integrated as a network protocol! At least to also have Mac Users as happy clients. :wink:

Are you kidding me?  I spent a substantial amount of money on this drive and as far as I can tell it hardly lives up to its specs.  I can’t use it with time machine. Transfer rates are so slow as to render the unit worthless. Backup anywhere software fails to complete (probably because of slow transfer rates.  

I too bought the unit because it was advertised as a fast network backup and storage solution. As of now it is neither. I have the most recent firmware and am using a gignet connection. On top of  the fact that  instead of 4tb of storage it only holds 2.6. (i figured a little lower but not 1.4tb.  

Right now it is just a very expensive paperweight.  At this point I am considering ripping the drives out and putting them in my old G5 raid 5 configure and use it as my NAS. What a bunch of hooha. I wrote WD tech support and will see what they have to say. Shame on you WD and shame on you CNET and PCMag for your recommendation. This is one of the WORST purchases I have every made. 

I hope I am doing something very wrong and WD can set me straight, I will be glad to eat crow.  Based on other comments here I doubt it. 

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Hi,

I have the same network performance problem.

Do you find solution ?

Regards.

F.R.

I did not find a solution. The drive actually crashed on me about 2 months after I started using it. I had about 5 TB of data on it that was lost. I contacted WD and they said there was no way to get the data back. It was strange, I had just checked it an hour prior to the failure and everything was fine. The next time I clicked on the link to the drive it was unable to be found. Tried everything I could to fix it, then called WD tech support. Tech support told me it was a rather common problem and even if I had used the drive in RAID 5 mode, I still would have lost all the data. I don’t think it’s the fault of WD, but I will never get another ethernet drive that does not connect directly to a PC via USB, eSATA or Firewire. The WD drive does have USB ports, but they are only inputs to add some additional device. I have set up a couple NAS systems and connected them via eSATA to a PC, set them to be shared with the rest of my network computers and I haven’t had any problems with them. The only downside is the PC they are connected to has to be on to use the drive on any other computers, but the safety far outweighs the minor hassle of needing a particular PC on. I’ve got a lot of 1 & 2 TB WD USB drives and they all work great, I think ethernet drives are still in need of more development to work out the bugs.

I did contact tech support and it was blamed on my network. I have multiple PCs connected through the modem this drive was directly connected to and I have not had any problems with transfer speeds between them. Honestly, I was not that concerned about the transfer rates. My real problem with the drive occured after I posted this message when the drive disappeared from my network. After spending hours with tech support, it was determined that the drive’s connection had failed and the 5 TB of data on the drive was lost. The tech support informed me it made no difference what RAID mode the drive was set to because it was the connection from the box to the network that failed. Nothing could be done to save the data. I think this is a regular problem with ethernet connected drives, as I have since read many reviews where customers had the same problems, not only WD, but all manufacturers making the network drives. I have many WD external HDDs and they have all been VERY RELIABLE, so I truly believe our current technology is simply not up to the proper standards to safely store data on an ethernet based drive.

pawdr wrote:

Are you kidding me?  I spent a substantial amount of money on this drive and as far as I can tell it hardly lives up to its specs.  I can’t use it with time machine. Transfer rates are so slow as to render the unit worthless. Backup anywhere software fails to complete (probably because of slow transfer rates.  

I too bought the unit because it was advertised as a fast network backup and storage solution. As of now it is neither. I have the most recent firmware and am using a gignet connection. On top of  the fact that  instead of 4tb of storage it only holds 2.6. (i figured a little lower but not 1.4tb.  

Right now it is just a very expensive paperweight.  At this point I am considering ripping the drives out and putting them in my old G5 raid 5 configure and use it as my NAS. What a bunch of hooha. I wrote WD tech support and will see what they have to say. Shame on you WD and shame on you CNET and PCMag for your recommendation. This is one of the WORST purchases I have every made. 

I hope I am doing something very wrong and WD can set me straight, I will be glad to eat crow.  Based on other comments here I doubt it. 

Yeah…it **bleep** but if you’re just moving some .doc files or .pdf’s, it’s gonna **bleep**! Hey i’m in the same boat as you…trying to backup compressed video files(ProRes) unit is slow as hell. nnowhere near spec…but it was cheap! A lot cheaper than the next one up,so we got what we paid for.

hey i didnt say **bleep**, I said **BLEEP**

I wish it was a joke. I will never think of buying another ethernet based drive, from WD or any other manufacturer. I have read thousands of other comments where people had the same problems we have all faced. Please be careful with the data you have stored on the WD ethernet drive, as it is not uncommon for them to just ■■■■ out and die. I lost about 5TB of data when my ethernet WD died, and almost a year later I am still trying to get all the data back I lost. I’ve replaced the WD ethernet drive with a NAS drive that has worked great. It worked so well that I purchased another NAS box and put 5 2TB drives in it. Again, it is working flawlessly. It’s accessible throughout my entire network, as long as the PC the NAS drive is connected to is on, and I get much faster transfer rates using it then I did with the ethernet drive from WD. I wish you the best of luck, but I think you would be better off returning the entire WD ethernet system, if possible. If they won’t take it back, your definitely better off pulling out the hdds and putting them into a NAS box.

Is there an official answer from WD to any of you that their gonna fix this problem?

no