DX4000 BIOS file

Dear all,

I modified the DX4000’s display share memory from 8MB to 1MB in BIOS then the system stuck with error code A2 when boot even I solder down the BIOS chip modified value back but still A2.

Are they anyone share the DX4000’s BIOS bin file.

Thanks in advance.
BR,
Han Zhengrong

Hi @s0ahc,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

me too,are you fixed it?

hi,friends.i needs the DX4000 BIOS file,the chip is w25q16cl .my mail : forwinson@hotmail.com, thanks!

Give me one week, I have to disassemble the NAS for modding.
Meanwhile I could desolder the BIOS EEPROM and read it out.
I would send you the File here, if you still need it.

desolder a bios. You guys amaze me!

I cannot even move a jumper on an esp32 board to use an external antenna (okay it is not a jumper like 2 pins, it is a 0 ohm resistor smaller than a grain of rice soldered to the board)

Hi,friend

I look forward to your successful the NAS transformation.

从 Windows 版邮件发送

Lol,

it’s not my first soldering.
I modded the DX4000 by adding the VGA and the fifth SATA port,
so I could install Windows Server 2016 Standard on a SSD
and keep away the OS from the RAID, that it’s now used only for data.
Now I want to activate the additional USB header and rearrange the USB-TTL-Adapter to look a little bit professional.

I modded my bike and changed the MOSFETs, i solder a battery logic from scratch,
I repair motherboards at work by replacing components up to SOP56 Chips, LAN chips, resistors, condenser, VRM, etcetera.
At least the SOP8 chips are really easy even for beginners.
Use a hot air gun.

OK, here you go.
Here ist the EEPROM dump of the DX4000.
I have the EMEA Version, but I think, the BIOS is the same, only the software is different.
I don’t know, if inside that BIOS are identifying informations, like serial no, mac adress or UUID or similar.
So be careful while flashing, maybe you have to change the settings inside the file with AMIBCP, but I really don’t know.
WD DX4000 MX25L16.bin.eot (2 MB)
I had to rename it to .eot for uploading here.
It is a BIN file, so simply remove the .eot extension.

Edit:
Only for advise:
Of course you have to desolder the EEPROM for flashing that file.
In Circuit Flashing doesn’t work.

Only for information regarding the EEPROM types:
At least for simple SOP8 Chips (like BIOS or UEFI)
you don’t need to bother about ANY letters on the chip.
It is only important to stay within the given capacity and the SPI type.
The chips are named something like 25X16.
The 25 specifies the SPI type, the letter after the 25 doesn’t matter at all,
the 16 stands for 16MBit of capacity.
I’m aware of 25X1, 25X2, 25X4, 25X8, 25X16 and so on…
After the capacity indicator there are other numbers or letters, they all are unimportant.
At least regarding my own experience at work you can do following:
You can replace for example a 25Q64 with a 25L64, the letter doesn’t matter, it will work.
You can replace a 25 type chip with a 24 type, it will work (i.E: 25Q64–>24Q64).
You an replace a 24 type chip with a 25 type, it will work (i.E: 24Q16–>25Q16).
You can replace a chip with a given capacity withe a chip of the next larger one (replace 16MBit with 32MBit), it will work.
You CAN’T replace a chip with a given capacity with a smaller one (understandable), it will NOT work.

The BIOS file uploaded has exactly 2048Kilobyte, so you need at least a 16MBit Chip.
Again, the letters don’t matter, only the numbers: 25 (or 24) and 16.