DX4000 - Boot order not saved

Hello,

I recently got a DX4000 and I want to install Debian on it.
I’ve access to the BIOS from the TTL. Installation part is good.

My current issue, is the boot order is not saved and I can’t automatically start on my USB Disk.
After a reboot, the boot order go back to

• UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell
  • UEFI: Intel(R) 825…
  • UEFI: Intel(R) 825…
  • debian (My USB key)
    etc.

So the server automatically start on the Shell and not the USB key.

I tried removing all the entry except “debian” and it’s good if I do “Save changes and exit” but not with a “Save changes and reset” or a reboot of the DX4000

The only difference I found is my BIOS version which is “0ABYK014”

Does someone have an idea on this issue?

Thank you,

Myst~

You say that the only difference you found is the bios version. What are you comparing it to? 0ABYK014 is not the most current one in any case. That would be 0ABYK015. I don’t know if that version also has the same issue or not, since I don’t have a system that is booting from USB.

There is actually a third bios version that might make a difference. The DX4000 is hardware identical to the Arkeia backup appliance, which uses a slightly different version bios. I only mention it here, because the Arkeia box attaches a USB flash card to the internal USB2 connector on the back of the main board and it boots from that. It’s possible that the bios is different and it doesn’t keep reverting to the main raid drives, after you select to boot from the USB device.

Alternatively, you could short the pins of the “reset” connector on the board, since that is how boot from USB is forced when doing a WS2008 recovery.

Hello @User000001 , thank you for your reply.

I’ll try the “reset” method, that seems to do what I want.

Just to know, is there a method to update the BIOS? ( I’ll do it in last resort)

There are a few methods, but only one is generally available to mere mortals. That would be the one where you unsolder the bios flash chip, load it into a programmer and re-program it with a new image, before re-soldering back onto the board.