DTS audio no longer works after upgrading to 1.03.49

Hi Lunar07,

i have an older Yamaha RX-v5xx receiver without HDMI Support, i just use optical IN.

R

Nedo

Nedo_ wrote:

Hi Lunar07,

i have an older Yamaha RX-v5xx receiver without HDMI Support, i just use optical IN.

R

Nedo

Ok.  I am trying to establish (in this plethora of connections) if problem persists with:

1.  HDMI connected to AVR with AVR DECODING Audio over HDMI (some AVR’s just pass through the HDMI signal so user has to use optical for audio or leave it up to TV to decode audio)

2.  Optical connected to AVR.

From what I am getting so far, and I maybe wrong, it is as though optical audio works (permitting audio format of course since optical can not handle HD audio), but HDMI audio is not with DTS.

This is why it is important for people running into audio issues to describe how they connect audio.

Same issue here, was using 1.02.21 on WDTV Live, upgraded to 1.03.49_V and no sound. Switched to Stereo and it works again. I have HDMI Out to Samsung LCD TV and then Optical Audio out from TV to Onkyo TX-SR706.

bikeracer4487 wrote:

Same issue here, was using 1.02.21 on WDTV Live, upgraded to 1.03.49_V and no sound. Switched to Stereo and it works again. I have HDMI Out to Samsung LCD TV and then Optical Audio out from TV to Onkyo TX-SR706.

And you’re sure your Samsung does DTS PASSTHROUGH to the optical?

Well, no…do you know how I can check? It’s an LN46A550… Actually, though, I had it hooked up this way BEFORE the firmware update and it worked fine, so it must.

Well, no…do you know how I can check? It’s an LN46A550… Actually, though, I had it hooked up this way BEFORE the firmware update and it worked fine, so it must.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that rolling back to the 1.02.21 firmware fixed this issue.

I have optical directly to my receiver. DTS works. Problem must be DTS using HDMI out.

bikeracer4487 wrote:

From the Samsung manual:

When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

This is the same optical behaviour as my TV. Whatever the 1.02.21 firmware is doing, you are not getting 5.1 DTS from your TV the way it is currently wired up.

bikeracer4487 wrote:

With the new firmware, please connect optical from wd unit (***switch to digital mode***) to Onkyo directly and see if you get DTS 5.1 sound out.  so we’ll know for certain to isolate issue better.  With this setup, hard to tell if the issue is with audio over hdmi or the TV.  With optical from wd to onkyo it will make things a bit clearer.

Anyway, who do you have optical from TV to AVR in the first place?

bikeracer4487 wrote:

From pixelpower post, this sounds like what is supposed to happen looooooool you are getting stereo in accordance with manual but you actually have to switch unit to stereo.

As I suggested to you, please switch WD to digital and connect optical from wd to onkyo with newest firmware and see if you get DTS 5.1 audio.  I’m sure you’ll get audio.  However, with manual description I am not sure that you actually have an issue to start with with newest firmware.

playerone wrote:

I have optical directly to my receiver. DTS works. Problem must be DTS using HDMI out.

What I am seeing so far that it maybe poeple’s EXPECTATIONS when playing HDMI audio connected directly to a TV set then maybe optical out from TV to AVR.  Older firmware may have been doing something to allow audio to happen  but with newest one user have to switch to stereo.  I maybe wrong but this is what I am seeing.

I can be CERTAIN of a problem if users have HDMI connected to an AVR (of course AVR have to support DTS DUH :smiley: ) and DTS is not working at all.  In my setup with HDMI to AVR it is working with 5.1 DTS.

Same problem for me.  Conia TV, not too sure on model, into a logitech Z5500 speaker system.  This is my bedroom setup.  WDTV Live > HDMI > TV > Digital Coaxial > Z5500 speakers.  Works perfect on the 1.02.21 firmware but broke with this release.

Ignorning the speakers altogether (not even hooked up) , With the Audio output on digital in the WDTV settings in 1.02.21 the built in tv speakers get audio. On 1.03.49 they don’t.

The menus are also a lot more responsive in 1.02.21.

Z5500 speakers Confirmed ! I also have this speakers and also same problem 1.02.21 works on this doesnt ! 

Jayman0580 wrote:

Same problem for me.  Conia TV, not too sure on model, into a logitech Z5500 speaker system.  This is my bedroom setup.  WDTV Live > HDMI > TV > Digital Coaxial > Z5500 speakers.  Works perfect on the 1.02.21 firmware but broke with this release.

Ignorning the speakers altogether (not even hooked up) , With the Audio output on digital in the WDTV settings in 1.02.21 the built in tv speakers get audio. On 1.03.49 they don’t.

The menus are also a lot more responsive in 1.02.21.

I tired both Live and Live plus via hdmi to two TVs:  Sony and Vizio.  Audio set to Digital.  They played audio fine via TV speakers EXCEPT for DTS.  Setting WD units Audio to Stereo, DTS played fine.  This behavior is in the latest firmmware and the official firmware before that one on both units.  I thought this was the correct behavior.  My TVs do not decode DTS unless sent out as Stereo.

Hello, I’m a new member here. 

I have the WD Live TV for several months now and everything worked fine until I upgraded to 1.03.49. 

I connect the Live TV through HDMI to my AV Receiver (Sony STR-DG820) and from there through HDMI to my TV.  Until now I had the audio setting to the Live TV to “Digital Audio”. 

Since the upgrade to 1.03.49 I have no audio from my AV Receiver and I had to turn the Audio to “Stereo” in order to hear sound. 

I also used to access my shared folders (windows 7 ) and since the upgrade I get a “Folder is Empty” whenever I try to access shared folders over my Wi-Fi network. 

I have to say here that everything worked fine with the older firmware (1.02.21) , the only problem was that after my last update of the Windows Live programs (Messenger, mail etc) I had problem accessing the network shares (password was not accepted) and I had to make some registry modifications that I found to the Internet to make it access network folders again. 

I’ll roll back to the 1.02.21 ASAP

Hi

DTS Audio no longer works for me after upgrade,I have a Panasonic SAPT 470 home sound system which is connected to my WD live via composite & optical (no HDMI to WD player) before upgrade DTS worked fine, I now have to select stereo to play DTS any thoughts anyone? if not think I will just go back to old firmware.

Ok gone back to V 1 02 21 firmware & gues what DTS Audio is still not working & I know it used to as it wont play the audio on Terminator Salvation & yet I have watched the Movie. Wonder if its anything to do with the fact that when I upgraded to 1 03 49 I also immediately took the next available update 1 04 10 & have now gone back to 1 02 21. So in effect I have jumped back 2 version. Anyone?.

chopster wrote:

Ok gone back to V 1 02 21 firmware & gues what DTS Audio is still not working & I know it used to as it wont play the audio on Terminator Salvation & yet I have watched the Movie. Wonder if its anything to do with the fact that when I upgraded to 1 03 49 I also immediately took the next available update 1 04 10 & have now gone back to 1 02 21. So in effect I have jumped back 2 version. Anyone?.

Have you reset to factory defaults since you rolled back?

Simple observation.

Live Plus works while the Live running v1.03.49 or v1.04.10 == Digital over HDMI failure. I have two of the later and both have the same problem after update(s).

Thanks for the reply

RichUK wrote:

richUK wrote:

chopster wrote:

Well no I had not but I have now & there is still no sound  It may be worth noting that this is a MKV file would that make a difference

chopster wrote:

Thanks for the reply

RichUK wrote:

richUK wrote:

chopster wrote:

Well no I had not but I have now & there is still no sound  It may be worth noting that this is a MKV file would that make a difference

It might make a difference if ‘header compression’ is enabled in the MKV file.