Do i really need to update the firmware?

I’m reading the firmware section and I see many people complaining about problems they have after the update. My question is: do I really need to update the firmware? is there a list for the things that have been fixed in the new firmware? what are the benefits?

I’m new to this community and my device still brand new with the original firmware, mean time I can’t go through all the pages (thousands) to see if i should update or not…

any directions regarding the firmware will be much appreciated.

thank you

The simple answer is No you do not have to update, its up to you. 

If you go to the page below you will see the link to the release notes (right hand side). This will tell you everthing about all the updates up to and including the latest one. These notes do not tell you the many problems and bugs that were introduced when the firmware was developed.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

1 Like

Avoid the latest update like the plague.

2 Likes

my device already comes with the Version 2.04.13, didn’t see any problems so far. Is there any stable version higher than the 2.04.13 and users didn’t find any problems with it? I heard that the 2.08 is not good?

thanks

Is there any stable version higher than the 2.04.13 and users didn’t find any problems with it? 

You will *ALWAYS* find users complaining about EVERY version.

If what you’re running works for you, then stay with that version.  If not, well, then you’ll have to do some homework.

1 Like

I am still OK with FW 2.04.13
basicly I use WD to play movies and music and watch photos,
for services I use AccuWeather, Youtube and radioThingy :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only thing I gained from 2.07.x was the ability for the Hub to see the entire contents of my 3TB Hitachi drive. Other than that I’d still be on 2.04.

1 Like

Hi Miami, any idea if the firmware 2.04.13 will support over 1 TB hdd not WD brand? I’m planning of getting 2TB seagate.

Also, did you have any problems with 2.07.x because you mentioned that you would stayed on 2.04 if was not for the 3tb drive.

thanks

You know, probably the best thing for you to do is to try a firmware, if you find that it’s too buggy for your taste then you can always rollback to an earlier version.

I will say this though, if you plan on using any of the themes that are listed in the Themes forum, then I would not bother with 2.08.13 since it has bugs with the UI and make those themes unusable (at least as they are intended to be used). 

I would start with 2.07.17 (I use this version and find it works fairly well) and then if you don’t find that it works for you then rollback to 2.04.13 (don’t even bother with 2.06.10 or 2.05.08).

You can find the info on how to rollback here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center

This might take some time to do, but is the best way to figure out which version will best suit your needs.

1 Like

You can also turn off the automatic message that a new firmware is available (i sure did).

I’m using the firmware 2.07.17 and that works nicely. The latest version 2.08.13 has (still) quite a lot of old and new bugs (cover data for movies missing). I would advise not to upgrade to the latest version. 

The reason for me to upgrade to e.g. 2.07.17 were the Internet services such as Shoutcast radio and Deezer.

I enjoy the Shoutcast and TuneIn Radio app a lot. All others i haven’t used a lot because they are either very slow or buggy.

For me the major downside for 2.07.17 is the screensaver bug which causes the audio services or your own music collection to stop when the screensaver is set to photos. If you put it on the WDTV logo is does work correct.

Download links:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1010&sid=134&lang=en

1 Like

pacorob wrote:

You can also turn off the automatic message that a new firmware is available (i sure did).

I’m using the firmware 2.07.17 and that works nicely. The latest version 2.08.13 has (still) quite a lot of old and new bugs (cover data for movies missing). I would advise not to upgrade to the latest version. 

The reason for me to upgrade to e.g. 2.07.17 were the Internet services such as Shoutcast radio and Deezer.

I enjoy the Shoutcast and TuneIn Radio app a lot. All others i haven’t used a lot because they are either very slow or buggy.

For me the major downside for 2.07.17 is the screensaver bug which causes the audio services or your own music collection to stop when the screensaver is set to photos. If you put it on the WDTV logo is does work correct.

Download links:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1010&sid=134&lang=en

Do not download any ‘firmware’ from the first link listed above. This page has GPL source code and will cripple your unit if installed.

If you wish to change firmware then use the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

1 Like

Thanks guys for your comments!

my question to you pacorob and tinwarble, did you see any changes considering playing movies, audio support, subtitles support, better navigation, smoother hub, better support for external hard drives, more settings to choose from, after the update?

I’m asking that because i use the device just to watch movies, I’m not too much into the services that WD offers or into music files, I just want to use it for the primary reason which is watch movies and get the best of it.

does the version 2.07 has any advantage over 2,04 considering what I listed in the first paragraph?

thanks

thanks richuk for the advice

It’s really hard to tell you if you are going to have good results with one version or the other.  Individual results are going to vary depending on how you use the HUB, how your movies are encoded, what and how you connect external drives, etc…

No one person can tell you which version is going to be best for your needs.  However, the only real improvements between 2.07 and 2.04 is that with 2.07 you can attach larger than 2TB drives, you can use locally stored backdrops, and you have more services to chose from.

As I said though, the bes thing for you to do is to just try a version.  Start with 2.07, then if you don’t like it or you find it has bugs that you can’t live with, then just rollback the firmware to 2.04.  This is going to be the only way you’ll know which version you like best, because asking others which is best for you is sort of like asking a bunch of people if you would like sushi.  Some people will tell you that its great and that you’ll love it and others will tell you it’s gross and that you’ll hate it, but the only way you’ll know for sure is to try it.  The only thing that the majority of can agree on is that we don’t want cooked Nutria (that being version 2.08).

But in case anyone does like version 2.08, HERE’S you a recipe.

1 Like

ok Tinwarble, I think i’m going to use the 2.07 version and reason on that like you mentioned “support locally stored backdrops”.  I was trying today the backdrops and they didn’t work, I really didn’t know what was the reason because i followed the instructions on how to use them locally, NOW i have the answer for it.

Thanks

PS: Where is the official place to download the 2.07 firmware, I received 2 posts before with 2 different links.

Use can just use the link that I posted in the previous post HERE, it’s the rollback firmware but is the exact same firmware as was originally released, just with a higher version number in the .ver file.

When you go to install it, it will say that it’s a different version than 2.07, but don’t worry about that, because after you flash it will be 2.07.

Or if you want the actual original firmware, as it was released, you can get it from HERE.  You will have to sign up for this site though to get access.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Is there any stable version higher than the 2.04.13 and users didn’t find any problems with it? 

You will *ALWAYS* find users complaining about EVERY version.

If what you’re running works for you, then stay with that version.  If not, well, then you’ll have to do some homework.

What about you, Tony?  I never hear you complain.  Don’t you ever experience the things others report or don’t you ever upgrade?

ram1009 wrote:> What about you, Tony?  I never hear you complain.  Don’t you ever experience the things others report or don’t you ever upgrade?

Sure, occasionally I experience the things that people report.   If I do, I’ll chime in.  And I usually do keep the latest firmware on the devices.

… I’ve also posted a number of “ISSUE” reports on the things I have come across, and try to KUDO the ones that I notice that affect me…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

ram1009 wrote:> What about you, Tony?  I never hear you complain.  Don’t you ever experience the things others report or don’t you ever upgrade?

Sure, occasionally I experience the things that people report.   If I do, I’ll chime in.  And I usually do keep the latest firmware on the devices.

… I’ve also posted a number of “ISSUE” reports on the things I have come across, and try to KUDO the ones that I notice that affect me…

I learned my lesson early on.  I don’t “upgrade” unless there’s something I can’t live without and since I don’t really do anything but the basics I’m staying where I am for now.   I probably won’t upgrade until they start supporting HBOGO.