Upgrading firmware, Is it a must?

I had a bad experience upgrading firmware, i have to get another WD TV Live Plus and wonder if  it’s a must to upgrade the firmware?

It does ask you if you’d like to install new firmware every time that you boot (at least I don’t know of a way to shut it off), but no its not necessary to upgrade unless there is a new feature that you have to have.

I’m currently still using 1.03.49, and from what I can tell quite a few people use older versions than that.

I am using the .21 FW.

All above that have some major issues as in completely ruining the network for little or no gain.

Anyhow , what I did was to block the access to *.wdc.com very easy to do from a Netgear router .Dunno about the other brands but I can rest in peace without those annoying updates.

buzzant wrote:

I had a bad experience upgrading firmware, i have to get another WD TV Live Plus and wonder if  it’s a must to upgrade the firmware?

Its entirely up to you. The only problem is that you will be prompted at switch on but just say no.

ok it’s done!

i exchanged it  and i have 30 days to exchange or return it so i tell my self that i might as well update it.

what do you guys think?

Edith:

After reading comments about this looping of the upgrade i have decided to NOT upgrade until a solution is found by WD.