DLNA & Subtitles

Hi to all,

I’ve just bougth WD TV Live Hub Media Player. The only reason that i want it, its DLNA support.

When i try to play movies from WDTVLiveHub i do NOT get any subtitles. In every movie (avi, mkv etc) i have a .srt file with greek subtitles but it is impossible to use it through DLNA.

I am not a technician, but i think that WD Live Hub, use TwonkyServer for DLNA.

At the URL http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9277&p=33998#p33998 i found that TwonkyServer 6.0.31-RC6 Fixed subtitle support for WD TV clients but i do not know how to upgrade or what other solution to use.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Nikolas

All the other responses are blank, and that’s a pretty old post they’re responding to, but I’ll go ahead and give my suggestions.

You cannot upgrade Twonky on the hub.  

What you CAN do is “Mux” your subtitles INTO the MKV file.   Then they will work.

MKVMerge will do this quite quickly and easily.

inspigr and  dhkproduction, if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

ΟΚ!

WD MUST update Twonky to make it work!

I can not transform to MKV all my 2000 videos!!!

I buy WD because it (write on box that) support DLNA…

inspigr wrote:

ΟΚ!

WD MUST update Twonky to make it work!

I can not transform to MKV all my 2000 videos!!!

I buy WD because it (write on box that) support DLNA…

Well that is not how Twonky licensing works for most NAS devices. Most manufacturers license a specific version of Twonky (usually not the most recent) and that is what you get.

DLNA does not support external sub-titles as part of the standard. Any specific support for them is by custom extensions to the player and/or server. So if you want sub-titles then you have to re-mux them to be inside the video file.

Hi,

If you follow the link to TwonkyServer (at my first post) you will see that the new version of Twonky SUPPORTS external subs and (+):

WD TV clients:

• Fixed subtitle support

I try the download version on my LG through the WD Live hub. It works!!!

Why i have to pay more…???

The developers from WD can easy update TwonkyServer to make it work with our WD Live Hub (so we have NOT to pay more…)

inspigr wrote:

Hi,

If you follow the link to TwonkyServer (at my first post) you will see that the new version of Twonky SUPPORTS external subs and (+):

WD TV clients:

• Fixed subtitle support

I try the download version on my LG through the WD Live hub. It works!!!

Why i have to pay more…???

The developers from WD can easy update TwonkyServer to make it work with our WD Live Hub (so we have NOT to pay more…)

You did not read my my first paragraph.

Well that is not how Twonky licensing works for most NAS devices.

Most manufacturers license a specific version of Twonky (usually not the most recent) and that is what you get.

Well, i pay with my … most recent money, so i want the most recent software that works!

inspigr wrote:

Well, i pay with my … most recent money, so i want the most recent software that works!

Well that is not the way the commercial world works. NAS manufacturers license a specific version of Twonky and usually not the the most recent. Presumably because the license is cheaper. You get what you pay for.

The version of Twonky on the device supports DLNA, it just does not do external sub-titles which is not part of the current standard. So to get sub-titles you need to do what you have been advised.

Are you working for WD?

Maybe english is not my native language, but it is very very clear that, if WD upgrade TwonkyServer to the new version, everything works !

CU!:slight_smile:

inspigr wrote:

Are you working for WD?

Maybe english is not my native language, but it is very very clear that, if WD upgrade TwonkyServer to the new version, everything works !

CU!:slight_smile:

No I don’t work for WD. I just have quite a few years of experience with NAS devices running twonky and how the twonky licensing works on these devices.

When you purchased the WDTV Live Hub you got a license to use the version of Twonky that WD has licensed from Twonkymedia. You did not get a license for all future versions of Twonky. You got an OEM version that WD licensed from Twonky, and as with most NAS devices no rights to any future versions.

In fact, except for old Twonky customers like myself, Twonkymedia no longer offer a perpetual upgrade license when you directly purchase the software from them.

So, if WD upgraded the version of twonky then probably it would work as you want. However, it is probably not going to happen.

When I purchased my laptop it came with Windows XP. Don’t you think that Dell should give me a free update to Windows 7!! Its not fair is it!!! :wink:

XP is an operating system, some years ago. Winodws 7 is something very new.

I have purchase my WD a month ago. Twonky Server fix subtitles some days after buing WD.

Is it fair?

inspigr wrote:

XP is an operating system, some years ago. Winodws 7 is something very new.

I have purchase my WD a month ago. Twonky Server fix subtitles some days after buing WD.

Is it fair?

Thats just life. My wife purchased a car a with a 3 year warranty and a few months later they were selling them with a 7 year warranty. You purchased a hub from WD with a media server on it. WD did not promise that it would be the latest one or that they would update it during the life of your unit.

So,

the WD is just as womens…

did not promise that it would be the latest one!:slight_smile:

:smileyvery-happy:

I have the same problem.

I have for player the WD live hub. I have the Qnap TS219+ in which i store my videos. I connect them with a thomson router. I want to play the video from the Nas (Qnap). I use twonky (5.1 in qnap). The videos are ok but no subs…

1. If i upgrade the twonky that is on the qnap to TwonkyServer 6.0.32, then the wd hub can play the srt files?

2. Is their any news about update twonky in the WD Hub?

3. Any other solution (i don’t want to merge it to the video files)…

thanks…