DL4100 as Master Browser

Yep, I checked further into the WD Bridge and also found it should work with the router 5G. I did not want to buy one unless I could find the latest firmware, and I did, and downloaded it. I also found the best price; it is from Grassroots Computer, BUT as an eBay seller! $35 + $5 shipping. They also sell the Range Extender there for $20 + $5 shipping. So, first I want to use a RE behind the bedroom TV to plug the WDTV and Roku into to see it the situation improves. If it does, I will order a Bridge for this location. No way to use these gadgets wired, even though router is about 15 feet away in the walk-in closet ,because of a few doorways.

The drive attached to router: I had forgotten to tell you about this; it has been so long ago. I solved problem this way… Initially, I had copied all the data I wanted on the drive via USB/PC connection to a folder I named My MEDIA and put side it the folders for music, video, etc. I, too, could not access it later to add/delete stuff and found I had to map the drive to the Network via File Explorer. I also could not map the drive, but rather had to map the MY MEDIA folder. So now, it shows in FE under Computer and Network and I can now manage it from PCs to keep it updated, etc. So, you need to do this, also…

Later, Mike

1 Like

OK, I bought the My Net AC Bridge for $40 to replace (hopefully) my Asus RT-N66R that is currently acting as my den components’ media bridge.

If the My Net Bridge can pick up the 5G signal from my Asus RT-N66U router well enough, that will allow me to use the RT-N66R as another Access Point for providing wireless access to my bonus room and garage.

After populating the external USB hard drive and remounting it on the router, I am able to R/W files on the shared media folder on the drive through Windows File Explorer. Thanks!

My next step will be to get access to this USB media attached to the router when outside of my LAN…out there in the Internet. I have a DDNS address so I am slowly getting there one step at a time.

And, I bought the $40 bridge last night, too, and was notified around noon today that it had shipped to be here on Tuesday… We are definitely costing one another money!
Actually, a good price; did I tell you the original CNET review said it would retail for $150? I found no bridge of comparable quality at Amazon anywhere close to the $40, and not much choice of alternatives at that. I am hoping it comes with the final FW installed, which is in file named My_Net_AC_Wi-Fi_Bridge_1.02.01.zip. If not we can install it. This is where I downloaded it from: Western Digital WD My Net AC Bridge Firmware 1.02.01 Download | TechSpot

The user guide is at WD support; very straight forward to set up and use.

I have my Newegg rebate all filled out to be put into an envelope and mailed tomorrow. I have been thinking of using the new RT-N66W out by my computer station upstairs near center of house as an AP since it is white and the trim and shelf along open hallway wall is white so it won’t be a “big black thing” showing from living room, but rather a white one. Where I will put it is wide open to the whole house; no walls nearby. If not, i can use it somewhere else downstairs.

Install the AiCloud app on you phones and tablets so you can access the drive on the router from home and internet when away. I presume the DDNS you have is the free one created by the Asus router ( at asuscomm.com) when you set up SMB. You don’t need to know or use the URL unless you would use a computer to access the drive. I just updated my drive via the network last night. I like to keep it current just in case the My Cloud NAS has an issue. I also can access the My Cloud via the AiCloud app, too. So, between the WD and the Asus mobile apps, I have two ways to reach the My Cloud.

I finally heard back from WD Level 2 support last night concerning this thread’s original topic. You will recall that the last time I was contacted by them was 16 April.They wanted to set up a time to “try some more things”. I thanked them for finally getting back with me but I had (thanks to fellow WD Community forum members) solved my Master Browser problem long ago.

I suggested they investigate how Synology implements this function their NAS as it works perfectly for Synology. I’ll just stick to using my Asus RT-N66U router as my LAN’s Master Browser.

Glad you heard back from WD; lot of help the WD support was!

Good news. my WD Bridge arrived a couple of hours ago, and it works great! I just finished setting it up, all four ports tested fine. Did a speedtest.net porting bridge output into PC Ethernet port, and all ports gave download speed of 120Mbps or better – same as my wired connection.

This is a cool gadget and will be very useful where I cannot get wired network connection to one of the WDTVs and have been stuck using lame/too slow, 2.4G add-on usb dongle. I will set it up behind TV for the WDTV, and Roku later when time permits. Need to go to Home Depot for some short Ethernet cables.

Also, the bridge came with last FW installed. Cool again. Can’t believe we got this thing for $40 all total.

I forgot to reply but I finally received my rebate from Newegg about a week and a half ago.

I got mine, too, same time. In fact, I happened to call them that day before it arrived, and they told me “soon”, and a few hours later it was in the mailbox!

Hi, how is your WD Range Extender working out? I think the one I have been using for 5G has been going south on me for a while. When it works it is fine, but when it doesn’t I think it is causing my 5G router signal to foul up and be blocked/intermittent. The problem of our mobile devices and others sometimes not connecting to 5G was apparently being caused by the 5G extender.

I came to this conclusion when after rebooting the router too many times and not solving the issue, the other day in desperation I turned off the extender. I was able to connect mobile devices to the router fine. I tried this the next time I had same issue, and turning of the extender cured the problem again. Since I have a couple of new ones to have around for spares, I set one up The new extender is working fine, and have not lost 5G since putting it in operation.

It may be too soon to tell if I found the solution, but so far, so good. So glad I had a spare good RE…

One reason I bought the white Asus when you did was because of this issue which happened infrequently, but it was getting more of a severe problem the last few weeks. I’ll let you know if my prognosis in not correct if the problems re-appears with the new RE in place. If it turns out I am right, I will be buying another RE to keep my stash of spares renewed. I am totally dependent on the darn things to have full-house coverage of 5G!

This has been a weird problem; hope I have it figured out correctly.

Update. It has been a few more days and all is still well. Another clue to me it was the first RE causing the issue: the signal strength indicators of the replacement RE has been rock steady strength at two indicators solidly since putting it into service. The first one’s LEDs would fluctuate from two to none throughout each day.