Debating on a Second MyCloud

Hello,

I currently own a WD MY cloud 2TB, it is appraching capacity, and I am debating on a getting another on or if I just go elseware for my backup needs.

MY current one work OK, but a couple of issues are making me question getting a second one…

First, the performance is hit or miss. The device is connected directly to my GB ethernet switch, and it still can be slow. And yess I have disabled items via SSH. Yesterday I logged into the UI and it litterally took 5 minues for the login to complete.

Accessing my shares on my Macbook Pro is not as straight forward as it used to be, I have to use “Connect to server”, and even that is slow

I have tried to connect my and older WD My book to add as a share with no success, but that could just be the slow system, I also have a 2TB Mybook that I have not tried to connect to it, I might do that tonight and see if I have any better luck.

It has the latest firmware, but whn I purchased it it was no where near as slow as it is now. I have it setup to automatically update the firmware, so I do not know exactly when it got slow.

Thoughts?

I’ve noticed that the closer they get to being full the slower they get. I keep about 500GB’s free.

You could get another My Cloud or get a large My Book & transfer some files off of the My Cloud to it. I would probably just get a new My Cloud as the current ones offer better performance than older ones.

I pulled some files off ant it was slightly better.

You say the newer ones offer better performance. Has anyone benchmarked this?

Also what about the OSX compatibility issue? Is there any word on this being improved?

I would go for the My Cloud EX2

Others have benchmarked various My Cloud models/firmware, there is various benchmarking posts in this thread:

https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-firmware-release-04-04-02-105-1-27-2016/148441/89

Do a forum search for “benchmark” and you’ll find several other threads where various benchmarking posts are made.

My Cloud EX2 Ultra is my vote. Dual core processor.

What is the model number of your old My Cloud? Look up the specs & compare them to a new one.