Is this slow? or is it just me?

I just got a WD MyCloud 4TB. It is connected to a Netgear nighthawk r7000 Wifi Router. I have my macbook pro connected to a matrox DS1 Thunderbolt hub with a cat5e cable from it directly to the netgear router. every thing I do on the mycloud seems slow. event the dashboard takes about 30seconds for it to refresh. the read write speeds to the drive are 20 to 30 MB/s write and 35 to 45 mb/s read. I am not expecting gigabit speeds but at least more than 1/2 would be nice. 

is this typical? are my expectations of 60 to 70 MB/s write speeds out of line?

thanks

MC

another small tidbit. i went to the utilities on the dashboard and ran the quick diagnostices. it has been running for more than 1 hour and is still not done. it is at 90% and been that way for most of the time. 

Also before i get asked i have done the firmware update i am currently on v04.01.04-422. 

On a side note I can see the WD logo on a building less than a quarter of a mile from my house here in Irvine CA. I wonder if i could go knock on the door and get some help? :slight_smile:

Thanks

MC

very slow, even slow than before:angry:

There are only two causes for the slowness, well maybe three if you count WiFi but lets start with the one that we can blame on WD.

1. Scans: (WD’s Fault but correctable) if you have filled your Cloud with photos, movies and music media files, or even just filled the Cloud with data, then the two programs that the cloud runs to scan your data will consume every CPU cycle that it has. If you wait for a couple of weeks, or months, sometimes years because it gets stuck on one of your movie files, this high cpu cycle will clear up; until you add more movie files. It won’t rebuild thumbnails for your old photos or movies, but it will scan your whole hard drive to see which ones that it missed. 

So you can either wait and let it scan, meanwhile moan and whine about it on the WD forums, or your can learn how to SSH into the device and kill those two programs. The only drawback that you will see after killing those programs, is on remote access you won’t know what photo you are looking at since there are no thumbnails (although if you had let the scans run previously, it will still show).

a. ssh into the device (search on the forum on how to set this up and get into the device.

b. 

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

2. WiFi: (not WD’s Fault) if you are moaning about the speed of Wifi, this isn’t WD’s fault. Wireless is a function of your mobile, laptop and the wifi signals in your home. If you have an Mac Air that doesn’t have an gigabit ethernet connection, go buy one that connects either to your Thunderbolt connector or USB 3 connection.

**3. Network: (Your Fault)  **if you are connect via a gigabit ethernet and your Cloud shows “Green” at the back of the Cloud drive (meaning it is connected as gigabit, yellow means 100mbit connection), then it is your network problem; not the cloud if you have already shut down the two scan programs in the first step. 

Make sure you are mapping your cloud to your computer as a mapped drive. If you are using the WD program to access your drive locally, stop using the program and learn how to map your drive.

So for this part it is your fault as you will have to discover where in your network that is causing you to complain on the forums. 

So check this out:

before you pack up your WD and return it, let’s talk about Copying Speeds!

If one does a general google search on “mac nas slow” they’ll see that there are lots of complaints about transfer speeds between macs and NAS devices including those OTHER than WD. Seems some switched from using AFP to SMB and further downgraded from SMB2 to SMB1to deal with certain NAS issues. Some have even changed CIFS to try and resolve speed issues to mixed results. There doesn’t seem to be one specific configuration that works for everyone.

@Ralphael

Not sure if you meant your reply to come off the way that it did, but I think you may need to take some time away from the keyboard. If you would have read my post you would know that all but one of your recomendations were already covered. Why you would reply with this long post suggesting that I am some kind of whiner that needs to be disaplined by you is beyond me. A simple, did you see the post about disabling the scan would have been much easier to type. Then you failed to answer the basic question in the post. Are the speeds that I am seeing slow or is that what I should be expecting. 

BTW I did see the posts about the scan settings and yes I did disable them and it had very little impact. 

I am sure this reply will envoke yet another disaplinary type comment, but by the time that happens I will have already packed up my WD MyCloud and retured it to the store. 

I am a big fan of WD and I do not think the speed preformance that I am seeing is slow for this level of NAS device. I think maybe I was just really hoping that I could get away with spending $200 and get the preformance I need. Unfortunatly after a great deal of research the reality is that to get 70 + MBs writes speeds that I need it is going to be more like $600. As a side note I did go out and get the Seagate Personal Could NAS as well. it is basically the same level of NAS as the WD Mycloud. the preformance was almost identical. I will say the WD has a must more feature rich set of configuration tools. 

For those doing research on this topic I found http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/  to be a real help. The interface on the site is cluncky but it has some great data points to help you understand what different devices will produce. Here is the chart of WD NAS devices. Sorry the lables dont show on the screen capture.

Enjoy the the hunt 

MC

@mindcrime

I am a customer on this site and just trying to help. Sometimes I spend hours looking up info for other customers and spending time to type up an answer.

Last year a troll appeared on these forums and it resulted in my disappearance for over half a year as I decided that WD forums doesn’t really need my free help.

You have just reminded me why I decided to leave. 

Thank you…

Please feel free to return your Cloud as soon as possible as it seems that device does not suit your needs…

This will be my last post here in WD…

Take care Mindcrime…

Sadly, most people forget or does not know forums are for end-users to help each other, out of our free time.

There is no official support here. 

Anyhow, your speeds could vary to a lots of factors involved. But mainly, yes, you are getting GIG speeds!!! The speeds you are getting are normal. It all depends on hardware involved.

See this article, it is old, but still applies. Wish there was one with newer hardware and SSDs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321-3.html