Dashboard freezes for Admin account - WD mycloud ex2 ultra

Hello,

I am facing the following issue:
Whenever I log in to the Dashboard of my NAS WD Mycloud EX2 Ultra with the Admin account, the home page is displayed but the interface freezes immediately. I cannot click on anything. It basically looks like a picture of the dashboard, rather than a dashboard. The only action possible is closing the browser tab/window.

I am getting the same result in IE and Mozilla and on different machines. But only with the admin account. With other accounts I am able to sign in and use the dashboard (without admin privileges).

Do you know what might be the issue with my device?

Thank you

1 Like

Hello eeuan,

You can try 40 second reset on the device as well as power cycle the complete network including the My Cloud EX2 device.

You can firstly try power cycling the My Cloud device and the router. Then, you can try 40 second reset on the device by referring the link mentioned below. It is recommended to firstly check the changes that will be taken in the My Cloud EX2 drive before attempting the 40 second pin reset.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7507

IF still the issue persists, you should try contacting WD support from the link given below.

Nobody else has experienced this issue?

Yes - after reading through many replies on different threads the issue appears to be capacity-related. The dashboard capacity widget takes a really long time to load if you have a lot of files and the rest of the admin interface can’t be used until this widget finishes loading.

For some people this means that the dashboard times out before it loads.

I’m hoping there’s some way to disable the capacity widget - if anyone has found a way to do that it would be great to know what that is.

1 Like

Yes have the same issue also for over a year. Have been unable to update firmware or apps.

Same on all browsers. Firefox allows you to modify the HTTP timeouts, but even with a timeout of 10 minutes the page still will not load so that you can actually access the device.

Unfortunately I did not have SSH turned on, so out of luck in getting beyond this.

I don’t want to do a 40 Second Reset, as that deletes all your apps. Dropbox has limited the amount of devices on a free account so if I reset the device I would lose my dropbox app and could not get it back without paying for Dropbox.

Surely there is some other option?

Unfortunately I did not have SSH turned on, so out of luck in getting beyond this.

I’m having the same issue, and indeed I solved it by SSH (too bad it’s not enabled for you). For those who arrive here in the future, this was the command I used: /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

root@MyCloudEX2Ultra root # /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
Stopping wdmcserver
Killing on second try

Then, dashboard suddently worked again.

2 Likes

This worked for me on my WDmycloudEX2. Thanks for the great info!

“I don’t want to do a 40 Second Reset, as that deletes all your apps”

You may be correct, but I don’t think the 40 second reset deletes all the apps:

40 Second Reset (Reset with Power Off)
The 40 Second Reset, also known as System Only Restore, will reset the following:
•Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
•Admin Password (No password by default)
•Device Name (default = “WDMyCloud”)
•Remove all Users except Admin
•All Share permissions (default = Public)
•Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
•Network Mode (default = DHCP)
•Remove all Alerts
•mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
•Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
•WD Sync association (default = not configured)
•Backup jobs (default = not configured)
•Safepoint jobs (default = not configured)

Thanks for your response, but that’s not the same list I see on the WD website

It’s mentioned at the last dot point.

• Admin User Name (default = “admin”)
  • Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Device Name (default = “MyCloudEX2Ultra”)
  • SSH (Secure Shell) User Name and Password (default = “root” no default password, new password enforced)
  • Remove all Users except Admin
  • All Share permissions (default = Public)
  • Automatic Firmware Update (default = off)
  • Network Mode (default = DHCP)
  • Remove all Alerts
  • Active Directory configuration (default = off)
  • mycloud.com account association (default = not configured)
  • Mobile app account association (default = not configured)
  • WD Sync association (default = not configured)
  • Backup jobs (default = not configured)
  • Installed Apps and App Settings are removed

Anyway since I wrote my last message I have tried the 40 Second reset and it does remove all apps and I still cannot load the webpage or access SSH as it is not enabled by the reset.

Pete.

Interesting. Pity WD gives different advice at different times/locations. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

I have this problem on my EX2 ULTRA since about three months ago. Tried a reset, power off, simulated power failure (pull the power supply cable out whilst it was on), etc. etc. but nothing helped.

Today it received a firmware update (Wednesday 1 of november 2023) at 4 PM. I noticed because the cooling fan started making noise. An hour after the firmware update I logged-in to the dashboard and everything forked fine. Half an hour later I logged-in to the dashboard again, and the freezing problem is back. I have nearly 700 GB free of my 2TB capacity. So free disk space can not be the cause.

If anyone has solved this problem, please let me know!