Custom C# application for user/folder management (create, edit, delete) in My Cloud

I’m wondering if there is any chance to make an application by myself to manage My Cloud users and folder.
I’m making an app for SQL database backups and I want seperate folder and seperate user for each backups.
User and folder is very important because my clients should have access to their own backups.

Hi, which My Cloud do you have? As far as I know the WD My Cloud single bay does not support apps.

User and Share (folders) and their permissions can be created, managed, and deleted via the My Cloud Dashboard. If you have not done so already you should read the My Cloud User Manual (http://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) or the My Cloud Dashboard Help. Both have sections that detail how to create Users and Shares and how to set access permission (Full Access, Read Only Access, No Access) to those Shares (and their contents).

Officially the single bay My Cloud units do not support third party apps/modules. The My Cloud Mirror and the other more expensive multi bay My Cloud units do support additional third party apps/modules.

WD has a My Cloud Developer section that you may want to visit and review for creating “apps” for the multi bay My Cloud units:
http://developer.mycloud.com/MCDSDKindex.html

Unofficially, and absolutely not supported by WD, it may be possible on the second generation v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud units to modify the firmware to allow for third party apps/modules. See the following thread for more information:
https://community.wd.com/t/wd-mycloud-gen2-enable-apps-install-tab-apps/177885

Do you want to run the application on the MyCloud, or on a client computer?

If the latter, why not just access the drive as a mapped network drive, and write the code to access that mapped drive?

Thank you all for great answers :wink:
I’m not interested in My Cloud Apps. What I’m trying to do is Windows Service Application (C#) which will do SQL Database backups and send them to My Cloud but… Each client or each backup have to have each, seperate folder with specific permissions for specific user created by the same (my) Windows Service Application.
I think the last part of my plan is impossible with any WD My Cloud because of security reasons.
PS.
My Cloud and SQL Server might not be in the same network.

Are you asking someone to make such an application or are you asking HOW to make such an application?

Any application one creates can be programmed to access the My Cloud across the local network since the My Cloud uses SMB (Samba) and other network protocols for local file NAS access. This includes possibly sending username and passwords created through the My Cloud Dashboard and accessing Private Shares. Remote access would be different due to the way the My Cloud’s firmware is configured. One could use FTP, or possibly some form of SSH login (or SFTP), for remote access. Because one has access to SSH with the My Cloud it opens up many possibilities to modify the My Cloud firmware to allow for things the current firmware does not currently support or allow including potentially accessing and create/deleting Users and Shares. All it takes is someone who’s creative, knowledgeable and fluent in the use of SSH/Linux and creating/programming software for Windows or Mac OS (or iOS/Android).

I’m making such application and I’m asking if it’s possible to manage My Cloud folders and users in the same way as Dashboard does.

It may be possible to program an application to use SSH to issue commands to add/remove/modify Users/Shares and to copy files/data to or from the My Cloud. If your asking for the specific commands you may want to search these subforums for other threads where discussion on using SSH to issue various commands to the My Cloud is discussed to see if they contain information relevant to the tasks your seeking to program into your application. Or you could pick apart the Dashboard code to see how it triggers the various commands of the firmware to accomplish what you seek.

Thank you. This is the answer that I need :slight_smile: