Connecting WD Passport 2TB to Samsung Smart TV

Hi,

I’m new to this forum so any help would be much appreciated. I just purchased a 2 TB My Passport drive. I’m trying to connect it to my Samsung Smart TV. The TV doesn’t register the drive. It works fine on my Windows 7 desktop and also fine with my latest Samsung TV, but it doesn’t work with the older Samsung TV version. The earlier HDD drive I have works perfectly fine and also all my USB drives work perfectly fine. Just this new Drive doesn’t show up.

I have tried to search this forum for answers and the closest one I could find was mentioning that the drive may not be receiving enough power from the HDD drive on the TV to power up. The drive does light up, but just doesn’t show up.

I’ve tried formatting the drive in NTFC as well as FAT32 with no luck.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Mannar,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

Older TV’s only support MBR (Master Boot Record) Partitioned Hard drives

Your WD Passport 2TB use GPT (GUID Parttition Table)

Solution 1: Search for 3rd party software to convert GPT>MBR without data loss (but i’d still recommend having a backup … just in case)

Solution 2: Backup your data, Re-partition the hard drive to MBR and format it to whatever your TV supports (NTFS, FAT32 etc)

I do have same problem with you Mannar… and My 4TB WD Passport cannot registered by my Samsung TV… I also highly appreciated to any assistance that may solve this problem…

Hi,

Sorry. I had the problem with the hard drive with no solution, so I just used it as a spare hard drive.

WD are very bad with customer support and I purchased a new 2 TB Seagate device which works perfectly.

Good day to you!i have the same problem with my newly purchased 4tb my passport. its not working on my samsung tv.
did you find any solutions yet?

Dear Alan… actualy until now I still stuck to that problem, and WD Supporting team doesn’t support at all…

Good day to you! Thanks for the reply. I just want to ask if you did return the hard drive to the store and change it a compatible one with your tv or did you sell and dispose the hard drive that you bought?.. Because i was lookin’ for an option of what to do on the hard drive that i just bought and i can’t use it for my tv.