Connecting to TV using USB

Hi before I buy a MyCloud I just wanted to check I can connect it to my TV with USB? Currently I put a movie on a stick and connect that to the tv but would like to be able to send the movie wirelessly from the Computer to the Mycloud then access it via usb using the TVs inbuilt media player? The TV does not have ethernet ports. 

1 Like

ojejones wrote:

Hi before I buy a MyCloud I just wanted to check I can connect it to my TV with USB? Currently I put a movie on a stick and connect that to the tv but would like to be able to send the movie wirelessly from the Computer to the Mycloud then access it via usb using the TVs inbuilt media player? The TV does not have ethernet ports. 

If you have a smart TV, you can watch wirelessly. Just copy your movies to the MyCloud, then stream to your TV. You can’t connect the drive to your TV via USB if that’s what you mean

Hi It is not a smart TV. Just had USB and HDMI ports

ojejones wrote:

Hi It is not a smart TV. Just had USB and HDMI ports

Yeah, you need to have DNLA on your TV in order to stream i’m afraid. The USB on the back of the MyCloud is just for creating  backup, you can’t connect to devices. 

**bleep** cheers dude. Is there any other device I can do this with to your knowledge?

Just buy a standard USB hard drive. I have a 750GB USB powered WD drive that I load with movies and just plug directly into my TV. Works fine. I just bought the MyClous as I wanted a network hard drive for backups and to stream wirelessly

So there is no option to do this with a wireless HD? It saves having to too and fro from the TV with the HD?

WD TV Live is what you’re after!

Buy an adapter to make your tv smart like Brooktop suggested.

WD TV Live is a good adapter for your simple needs.  I really like xbmc media player and miracast though so it wouldn’t be my choice.