Connect WD Home duo via ethernet/usb adapter

You didn’t mention anything about playing music on your ‘streamer’ in your first post which basically is a two lines description.

If you are trying to play music on your ‘streamer’, you should turn on Plex Media Server on the My Cloud Home Duo (MCHD) and turn on DLNA. This is documented in the owner’s manual and in this forum and you should read it. Very few people would knows what this streamer you have and if it is compatible with anything, but usually DLNA is universally supported.

You are asking about the limitations of the Apple Airport Extreme. You should do that in the Apple support forum and not here. I gave you a link to the My Cloud Home Duo (MCHD) USB Knowledgebase (KBA) and you can help yourself if you read it. There are many limitations to the USB port on the MCHD USB host (similar limitations apply to the Airport Extreme) and if you try to use a ethernet USB adpater on either of them, they will almost certainly fail.

USB Backup Limitations

My Cloud Home and My Cloud Home Duo USB Backup does not support the following USB environments and features:

• My Cloud Home Duo with more than one USB drive attached - Only the 1st drive that is recognized is mounted
  • USB Hub with more than one USB drive attached - Only the 1st drive recognized is mounted
  • Password protected USB drives - The password must be removed
  • Multi Partition USB Drives - Only the 1st partition is recognized and mounted
  • Mobile phone USB backups are not supported.
  • Digital USB Cameras are not supported.
  • Mobile tablet USB backups are not supported
  • 3.5" Internal hard drive USB adapters and docking stations are not supported