Compatibility issues with the My Book Essential 3 TB and the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2)?

I have the My Book Essential 3 TB and the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2) and they have both had the most recent firmware updates available. When I use the Media Player with other external hard drives it plays all media perfectly without any problems, however when I connect the My Book Essential to the Media Player I get the error message “Storage can not aggregate” and a message saying “There is no media in the current folder” whenever I try to open it.

This is very frustrating as the Media Player works fine with my other external hard drives (some of which are also made by WD), and the My Book Essential works perfectly when connected to my computer, I just cannot understand why the two do not work together.

Is there a compatibility issue with these two devices, and could it be fixed by an upcoming firmware update for either the My Book or Media Player?

Right above your post:  Important Notice Regarding Single USB Drives Greater than 2 TBs

Although, I wouldn’t hold my breath on a Gen2 firmware update.

Ok thanks for the help ppl :)  i guess il just wait til the firmwire update :slight_smile:

Sturli wrote:

Ok thanks for the help ppl :)  i guess il just wait til the firmwire update :slight_smile:

Right…just don’t hold your breath.

I think I can pretty guarantee that there won’t be any firmware updates for this.  All the WD TV’s are experiencing this issue, and if the WD TV HD hasn’t had a firmware update by now, I doubt it will at all.  I would just consider the WD TV HD limited to 2 TB drives or smaller. 

bill_s wrote:

I think I can pretty guarantee that there won’t be any firmware updates for this.  All the WD TV’s are experiencing this issue, and if the WD TV HD hasn’t had a firmware update by now, I doubt it will at all.  I would just consider the WD TV HD limited to 2 TB drives or smaller. 

Thats quite a statement as to the support one can expect to receive from WD upon purchasing a WDTV device.Just another one of many issues that will never be addressed.Did no one in your company go to business school ? Do you not want repeat customers or to sell WD 3TB drives.Does WD not see that its competition is surpassing them.

I for one have been able to discourage many customers from even thinking about a WDTV and have also stopped using WD drives in my business and others.

How about updated your sticky on this subject to reflect your statement that this will remain an issue with WDTV products or perhaps on the main website and packaging so folks don’t destroy their data

I think you misunderstood me.  I’m only referring to the WD TV HD, not all the WD TV’s.  We are currently working on fixing this for the WD TV Live and Live Plus, as well  as the WD TV Live Hub.  Moreover, we are regularly updating the firmware for these products. 

The only reason I said that I doubt that there would be a fix for the The WD TV HD is because the last time we released a firmware update for that product was 12/3/09.  That’s well over a year ago.  The last firmware update we released for the WD TV Lives and Hub was earlier this month.  So, I don’t think I’m hurting anything by stating the obvious. 

bill_s wrote:

The only reason I said that I doubt that there would be a fix for the The WD TV HD is because the last time we released a firmware update for that product was 12/3/09.  That’s well over a year ago.  The last firmware update we released for the WD TV Lives and Hub was earlier this month.  So, I don’t think I’m hurting anything by stating the obvious. 

And, no doubt WD would prefer people to buy the latest models (which are apparently actively supported), but the fact remains that I can walk into my local WalMart and grab a “brand new” WDTV HD Gen2 off the shelf, only to get it home and find out that support for it apparently ended over a year ago.

Now, WD has no control over what retailers have in stock, and BestBuy stopped listing, let alone stocking, the Gen2’s last July or August IIRC, so it seems fewer are still on the shelves at this point in time, and there’s nothing stopping people from researching a product before making an impulse purchase, but as long as people are still buying them, people are going to be moaning about the remaining bugs which will apparently never be resolved.

“Go buy a WDTV Live or a WDTV Live Hub instead” isn’t really the answer that people are looking to hear when they get their Gen2 home (or even their Gen1, which are apparently still selling overseas), whether it’s the only answer WD has, or not.

It does kind of rub the customer the wrong way to find out their latest purchase was obsolete a year or two ago, regardless of any information available online to forewarn them, if they took the time to look for it.

What’s even worse, is that the Gen2’s down the street are selling for the original MSRP, which puts them about $50 above the going rate for a Live or a Live Plus!?!

Caveat emptor, indeed.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, the Live is older than the Gen2, which confuses me as to why WD would support the Live and not the Gen2. Probably sales numbers or something I’d imagine.

WD, you’ve lost a lot of customers over this “too many devices in such a short time that we can’t possibly support them all”. I’m not just talking about lost customers in the media player space only. It’s the hard drive space as well. I like many others have sworn off WD products altogether based on my experience with customer support. I’m sure that was never factored in when you decided that the numbers didn’t make sense to continue supporting something that’s barely been out a year. Customer support like this will leave you with no customers in the end. You put yourselves in the situation of having released like 7 devices in just over 2 years. Now man up and take responsibility, darn it!!!