Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Need enable USB power: Add this to /etc/rc

echo 13 > /sys/class/gpio/export echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio13/direction echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio13/value

Thanks for the reply.
Still All I see through ‘fdisk -l’ is HDD partitions. I did run those commands and it shows me ‘-bash: echo: write error: Device or resource busy’, so I guess the commands already have been executed.
What should I do? Thank you.

Ok, I’ve read through this and related threads several times now, and I’m still not sure what the best way to proceed is.

I have the EX2 (which I understand is the same as the gen 1 mirror).

Do I start with the Autoinstaller that’s in /WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Autoinstall ?? Or is there some other way to do this, without bricking the machine from the getgo?

Can you please direct me to a tutorial or a post which more or less describes the sequence of steps to go through, as some appear to be outdated, or relate to other hardware?

Finally, what’s “WDMyCloudEX4_Debian_8.0-1.bin” in gdrive under /WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Ex2/Apps ? In fact, what “.bin” format are all the .bin files in?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Hi Fox_exe,

I got your new 8451 DSM files “DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat” & “wd-to-dsm-8451.bin” from your ftp,

I have tried to upload the bin file in recovery mode but fail…Could you let me know how to use the bin file and boot to DSM via webinstaller? Thank you so much!!

.bin (firmware file for install via WD webgui) not working (idk why).
Test it later. Use “hand” method - replace files in /boot/boot folder.
But here few bug’s:

• If HDD less that 2TB - dsm format it as MBR (But need GPT). So, need reformat hdd to GPT (Use debian image for that, or your PC)
  • Once i have strange bug: /boot folder on 3rd partition not seen by bootloader, but exist on disk. Just recreate this folder (Save files inside!). Use debian for that, or telnet access when DSM in recovery mode.

Hello Fox_exe,

Many thanks for your reply, replace “files” in /boot/boot folder, …which files? is it extracted from “usb-boot.zip”?
let say…forget the bin file, it useless at the moment?

Thank you for those who have this machine, DSM 6 scheduled for wd my cloud gen 1?

Nope.
All materials for porting available, but noone follow me in this adventure :stuck_out_tongue:

what kind of person, skills you’d need to start the project?

Nothing. I google all myself.

btw:
Linux console, commands, bash.
C++ - Read, understand. No need code, only compare and change few vars.
Also need UART for debug/testing.

DSM Mycloud Test.zip (28.5 KB)

WD Mycloud Gen1 - UART for debug

Could you pass me the link? :smiley: :smiley: Thanks

Hello @Fox_exe. I noticed that in your site (WDMyCloud-Gen1 - DSM6_test) are 2 files (uImage, uRamdisk ) to perform a test to Logfile UART. I would do it myself but I can not boot together.
Could you tell me the correct steps you used to start them?
I will send you the Bootlog UART as soon as possible, thanks for your work!

Look inside Recovery folder (There is TFTP server. Use it to load kernel to device. Commands for boot available inside .sh script)

Hi @Fox_exe!
I did the test with UART. I tested before uImage and then uRamdisk because I do not know how to test them together simultaneously in a single session.
If I have to try uImage + uRamdisk simultaneously please tell me how to do.
I conducted the tests with HDD disconnected.

In your “Recovery” package is the Recovery file to be loaded via TFTP … This is an image with uImage + uRamdisk merged into a single file?

Appearance your directives on the next test I have to do. Greetings!

WDMC G1 UART Test1 (DSM6_test v01-Oct-2016 22.24).zip (16.0 KB)

addpart /dev/mem 16M@0x3008000(uImage)
addpart /dev/mem 16M@0x4008000(uRamdisk)
tftp uImage /dev/mem.uImage
tftp uRamdisk /dev/mem.uRamdisk
bootargs="console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/sda1 mac_addr=$eth0.ethaddr"
bootm /dev/mem.uImage /dev/mem.uRamdisk

Bootloader use gateway address as tftp server address. Possible to change it via variable “eth0” (Or similar. Check printenv output)

eth0.gateway=192.168.0.10

Also read help for bootm command. (bootm --help or just bootm w/o any params)

Hi @Fox_exe
I did the following tests with UART with the parameters suggested by you:

1. I have tested your files (uImage and uRamdisk) together simultaneously in a single session.

2. I tested the original Synology DSM_DS414j_8451.pat file (zImage and rd.bin) together in one session simultaneously

PS: The tests were performed with hard drive disconnected.
PS2: This is the permitted use of “bootm” in barebox 2011.06.0

Barebox-C2K >/ bootm -h
bootm advanced options:
-r [initrd] specify an initrd image
-a [arch] use architecture number [arch]
-R [system_rev] use system revison [system_rev]

Appearance your directives on the next test I have to do. Greetings!
WDMC G1 UART Test2 (DSM6_test v01-Oct-2016 22.24).zip (13.3 KB)
WDMC G1 UART Test1 (DSM_DS414j_8451.pat).zip (7.5 KB)

@Fox_exe
Hello I redid the UART log because I realized that the command to start the images was wrong.

1. Using the zImage + rd.bin by Synology, you start perfectly until you get to “DiskStation login:” but I can not do the login because I do not know the credentials (I tried admin and root as the user and blank for the password).
    WDMC G1 UART Test2 (DSM_DS414j_8451.pat).zip (10.1 KB)

2. Using uImage + uRamdisk, I get error “Unimplemented compression type 3 handler returned!” reported for uRamdisk
    WDMC G1 UART Test3 (DSM6_test v01-Oct-2016 22.24).zip (2.5 KB)

3. Using uImage + rd.bin the kernel starts and shows various messages.
    WDMC G1 UART Test1 (DSM6_test v01-Oct-2016 22.24 DSM_DS414j_8451.pat).zip (13.5 KB)

I am ready for further testing. See you soon! :slight_smile:

DSM6 reuploaded. Test it.

Hello @Fox_exe, I have logged UART

Using the new images, uImage + uRamdisk, I get the same error as the previous version:

Unimplemented compression type 3
handler returned!

WDMC G1 UART Test1 (DSM6_test v04-Oct-2016 19.48).zip (2.5 KB)

Error caused by uRamdisk

Looking at the internet should be a problem with the LZMA compression.
You could try to send the uncompressed images. When everything is functioning will adjust the compression.