Can't update firware by USB

Hi.

I can’t find the the “Update Firmware by USB” in my menu… Where is my mistake? 

I can just upload by ethernet, but I DON’T wand update by ethernet, but by USB.

Please help me.

Hello and welcome to the forum.  :slight_smile:

Please confirm the following:

1)  The USB drive works and is recognised by the WD TV (can you play movies from it?)

2)  You’ve downloaded the firmware and unzipped the files into the root of the USB drive.

Hello thanks.

1. Yes I can play movie, listen mp3, etc.

2. I did it. But when I plug my usb to WDTVLIVE I can’t upload, or better I cant find in the menu the “Upload Firmware”…

Which means the firmware you’re trying to update is not newer than the one already installed. In case you wanna fallback from modded to original firmware you gotta changed the value in the ver wdtvlive.ver file.

Not right.

I had an old version of firmware, I put newest on my usb but the “Update Firmware” didn’t appears.

I connent the ethernet cable and the “there is a new firmware” appears…

But in the usb how many file I must put? Just two or more?

When I did this last night the box recognised the update before I could find the Update Firmware By USB. You must make sure the individual update files are in the Root of the USB and not in a folder. Hope this helps?

They were in the root, but probably I put more file…

This night I’ll try again.

I don’t think the USB drive has to be EMPTY, but there should be THREE files:

WDTVLIVE.BIN

WDTVLIVE.FFF

WDTVLIVE.VER

All three files need to be in the root of the filesystem.

Hi,

Same issue here.

Can update through Internet but no way the Update Firmware option shows in the menu to allow update via USB.

I have put the 3 files in the root of the USB (latest BETA) but still nothing.

Would appreciate some guidance here.

TA

sabie wrote:

Hi,

Same issue here.

Can update through Internet but no way the Update Firmware option shows in the menu to allow update via USB.

I have put the 3 files in the root of the USB (latest BETA) but still nothing.

Would appreciate some guidance here.

TA

Are you sure that you have the correct firmware on your USB. The Live and the live plus have different firmware. I assume that you do have a live or live plus.

If you go to the system settings menu and click on ‘about’ it will tell you the firmware already on your unit. Now open the .ver file on your USB with notepad to see what the version is. The version on your USB must be higher in order for the new firmware option to appear.

1 Like

:smiley:

that did the trick, just updated to 1.03.40 with no problems.

Thank you for your prompt advice!

SB

sabie wrote:

:smiley:

that did the trick, just updated to 1.03.40 with no problems.

Thank you for your prompt advice!

SB

Where did you get that firmware from and what WDTV have you got.

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Probably another limited release PM-ed to the users who stated they had HDMI issues with their TV.