Cannot transfer RAW (.awr) Sony files from iPad to SSD Drive

Apologies if this has been covered. I can’t seem to transfer .awr Sony RAW files from my iPad to the SSD - the files are visible as thumbnails and can be opened, but they are cut down in size to JPEG format. The SSD is of no use to me whatsoever if I can’t back up my library of .awr files! Am I missing something here?

What iPad and what iOS version?

Hi Jeff, sorry yes should have said. It’s iPad Pro 12.9 2018 with latest IOS. I’ve been doing some testing with backups to other hard drives (Samsung T5), and also to iCloud, and the same thing seems to happen (only JPEG is transferred). I’m now wondering whether it’s because the camera is set to JPEG and RAW (rather than RAW only)? In which case, it might not be anything to do with the WD SSD?

I think you isolatedit.Try shooting just Raw and see if it transfers the Raw file.

OK so the problem has nothing to do specifically with the WD SSD. It seems that if you shoot in Sony Raw (awr) + Jpeg, once the images have been loaded from the camera’s SD card onto an iPad, you can’t make a backup copy of the awr+jpeg from the iPad either to iCloud or to the WD SSD, or to any other hard drive: the back-up process recognises the jpeg only and copies only in that format.

If however you load the SD card directly into the WD SSD, it splits the files into separate jpeg and awr formats. I’m assuming that there is no problem making backups if the original format is awr only (rather than awr+jpeg).

So no problem going forward as I can do one or the other above, but I’m still left with the oddity that past photos in awr+jpeg currently on my iPad can’t be fully backed up to another drive/Cloud - unless there’s some clever piece of software that can split the combined files?