Cannot Safely Remove My Passports

Hello WD Community,

I have several WD passports: Elites, Essentials, Passport Ultras.

I am using Windows 10.

It has become impossible to safely remove My Passports.  I close all of my programs and folders.  I get the “busy” message and to try again later.  I run Unlocker on them, and Unlocker shows no activity or actions that I can take.  I bring up my task manager and nothing is running.  I try to safely eject from the WD utility and it doesn’t work.  I try to eject by going to my computer, right clicking on the drive, and ejecting from there.  Sometimes I simply wait for half an hour, read some articles, try again.  I get the same “busy” or can’t shut down message.  Nothing I do lets me eject these drives.  I have to shut down my entire computer every time I want to remove a drive.

Please, please help.

Welcome to the WD Community.

Sound like a program or file still linked to the drives.

example, if you were playing music from the drive, even if you close the music program the computer will still think that the drive is being access by the program. 

As a recommendation, try to play a music file that is located on your computer and then try to eject the drive. 

Win 7 duplicates his frustration.

Could the WD Smartware set to Constant Backup be an isue EVEN IF you have one of two WD My Passport’s

Backup DIS-abled? (Presume (2) Constant BkUps should NOT be active together)

I tried to Safely Remove the one DIS-abled to no avail.

On a Thumb Drive w / music loaded I see EJECT - BUT - NO Rt Clk EJECT on either of My Passports (1=Ultra) .

Sorry, I do not play music etc from my drives.  

I also tried to go into the computer device manager to optimize the performance of the drive, but you have to restart your computer for it to take effect - but when I do, my computer gets stuck infinitely at the ‘restart’ screen.

I also tried to go into the computer device manager to optimize the performance of the drive, but you have to restart your computer for it to take effect - but when I do, my computer gets stuck infinitely at the ‘restart’ screen.

==========================================

It appears we’re on our own to Safely Disable our WD Drives …No One has posted that they can so this isn’t a Big Deal issue to most, apparently.

Have you tried an F8 Re-Start into Safe Mode?

Sometimes doing that and then a Re-Start to normal Win clears the issue up for me.

If you still have Re-Start problems and Safe Mode Boot worked, do it again and change the Policy back to Quick Release.

I REALLY can’t believe the Policy Change to an EXTERNAL Device would cause the Boot-Up issue but maybe someone will clarify this for you.

Windows 10. I have the exact same problem. I just purchased this Ultra passport, and I transferred some data from a friend who has the same WD. When I go to the 'safely eject" icon, I get the message to close programs. I closed everything. Still would not eject. I restarted the computer, and again, neither one will let me eject. I do not have that problem with the other external drives I have.

I just bought a 2TB Passport to back up photos from an older Elements drive. All was well until I wanted to eject the Passport. Same busy error, yet nothing was running. I found out if I eject the Elements drive first then I could safely eject the new Passport.
I just don’t know why that worked but it did.

When I connected it to a powered hub, I quit having the ejection problem.