Cannot make new 2TB HDD work on WD Mybook Essential

Help anyone

I replaced my hdd on the Mybook Essential. Its a 2TB Green HDD. I put it on the original enclosure and plugged it in. Windows Explorer pops up and said “Windows can’t access this disk”. I went to the disk management, I tried to initialized it but it said Access Denied. I tried to diskpart and it is recognized and I was able to do “Clean” command but still the issue is there. I removed it and put it on a docking station and I am able to access it like a normal drive. I was able to put files on it and reformat it again. I have also formatted it to exFAT but still the same issue.

• I have searched online but found a procedure for 3TB Mybook but i don’t think it is for Mybook Essentials besides it lets you download a 3TB software that you will run on Linux.

• I also found here on the community different issues but it doesn’t say how to reprogram the hard drive for 2TB.

• I saw another one online but his procedure was to reset the jumper and I checked the board and it has no jumper to reset it. Anyone here who was able to rebuild the Mybook Essential with new blank 2TB?

Here are some screenshots I took after I formatted it from the docking station and put it on its enclosure:

Immediately after I turn mybook essentials and plugged in the USB cable:
1plugged cannot access disk

When I go to disk management even though I have reformatted it from the docking station as a new volume:

When I tried to initialize it again I get this message:
3access denied

If I run the WD Smartware, the disk is recognized as My Book but it is grayed out or not accessible:

WD SMartware quick view status is OK and not Locked:
status from wd smartware (2)

Hi,

You must initialize the disk before logical disk manager can access it: Format a Drive as NTFS to Use on Windows

i did try to initialized it but it said “Access Denied”

I was able to initialize the hard drive and format it but when i plug it in, it always says “Windows cant access this disc” and then another windows explorer pops up and I can browse the 2TB. I think this is the virtual cd? I tried to enable the virtual CD but it doesnt have any effect. I used to see the virtual CD drive for the smartware but not its gone

virtual cd