Cannot copy files from Windows Explorer,it is fine if done through the WD App

Hi,

I’ve been the last three days serching the forums and the Internet but i cannot find an answer.

The situation is as follows:

I have installed WD My Cloud in my LAN (BT Hub 3), using the Gigabit port.

I run the setup from my main PC (Windows 8.1 64bits), everything goes fine. (updated to latest firmware v04.01.02-417)

I have set up a couple of users, and a few shares (some public, some not)

I have managed to map the shares as networks drives in windows without a problem.

Using the WD App I can upload content from my PC to the WD My Cloud at a very good speeds.

Using windows explorer, I can navigate through the uploaded content, I can view the files and open them, and I can also copy them back to my PC and even delete them. All very nice and fast.

The problem comes when I try to copy a file (or several files and folders) from my PC to the mapped network drive using windows explorer (as if they were any other drive in the PC), it starts and in a second the copying speed gets reduced to 0 Kb/s and get stucks there. I can cancel the copying, but I cannot access the WD My Cloud anymore until I restart it.

This happens everytime.

I tried to do the same from my laptop (Windows 8.1 64bits) with the same results. It also has happend if i add the share in the ES Explorer in any of my android devices.

This has big implications, as I cannot use the drive for the Windows File History feature, as it crash as soon as it tries to write in it, or as a normal network drive so I can redirect downloads there, for example.

In summary, with a mapped drive I can list files, read files, delete files, copy files, the problem comes when i try to paste something in the mapped drive.

It also happens if the drive is not mapped and I access like \mycloud\share and try to paste something.

Any idea?

Is the unit faulty?

Do i have to enable an specific setting?

Any specific port I need to forward in the router?

Do I need to use a specific username in the share?

Am I missing a required service in Windows?

Should I contact the WD support (as I bought it on Saturday)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Zorasht

is this local access? or from the wd2go.com site?

have you rebooted the mycloud?

any comfort with Linux? if so past the content of /etc/samba/overall_share or messagae to me if you don’t want it posted

if it is local, you have rebooted and not comfortable with Linux then do a system only restore. it leaves data and shares in place but everything else is like new

Hi, thanks for the help,

It happens in local mode.

See below the overal_share file content from /etc/samba/

## BEGIN ## sharename = Public #
[Public]
	path = /shares/Public
	comment = Public
	public = yes
	browseable = yes
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	map read only = no

## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = SmartWare #
[SmartWare]
	path = /shares/SmartWare
	comment = SmartWare
	public = yes
	browseable = yes
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	map read only = no

## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = TimeMachineBackup #
[TimeMachineBackup]
	path = /shares/TimeMachineBackup
	comment = TimeMachine
	public = yes
	browseable = yes
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	map read only = no

## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Zorasht #
[Zorasht]
  path = /shares/Zorasht
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Zorasht2 #
[Zorasht2]
  path = /shares/Zorasht2
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Documents #
[Documents]
  path = /shares/Documents
  comment = My Docs
  invalid users =
  valid users = Zorasht2
  read list = 
  write list = Zorasht2
  writeable = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = FileHistory #
[FileHistory]
  path = /shares/FileHistory
  comment = For Windows Backups
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Films #
[Films]
  path = /shares/Films
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = TVShows #
[TVShows]
  path = /shares/TVShows
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Pictures #
[Pictures]
  path = /shares/Pictures
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Copies #
[Copies]
  path = /shares/Copies
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Music #
[Music]
  path = /shares/Music
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Images #
[Images]
  path = /shares/Images
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Ent #
[Ent]
  path = /shares/Ent
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = GameSaves #
[GameSaves]
  path = /shares/GameSaves
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##
## BEGIN ## sharename = Steam #
[Steam]
  path = /shares/Steam
  comment = 
  public = yes
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  map read only = no
## END ##

I have also check again and after waiting for a while, i get the following message:

I googled about it and ended up taking me to this solution from MS for the  Error 0x8007003B

I also found another solution in this formus about it but blames the antivirus, and i have none installed. Also it complains it happens with large files,  mine happens with any file size.

Should I go for the system restore?

Or shoudl i try the hotfix from Microsoft?

If you are talking about the My Cloud “System Only Restore” what would it hurt to give it a try … other than the time it takes for the My Cloud to complete the task?

But from the articles you listed it seems to be more of a Windows 7 issue. You should be able to install the Hotfix and see if it helps … if not, or it causes unwanted other issues, then just uninstall the Hotfix.

Are you up to date on your Windows Updates?

I don’t see any obvoius in the overall share file

what shares and mycloud users have you tried? try the public share if you havn’t

I have a similar if not the same problem.  I have installed the 4TB MyCloud device on Monday morning.  Everything seemed to work fine and I could access the drive from the Windows 7 PC as well as from the Macbook Pro (10.10)

I subsequently spent Monday and Tuesday moving my Data across to the MyCloud drive and, except for extremly slow speeds achieved by the windows PC (The Mac was much faster) everything was transferred and I could access everything from both machines last night.

This morning however (the windows machine may have rebooted due to an update during the night) in the Explorer window I caccess the shared folder, but one of the sub-folders is completely missing, one folder has a grey cross (X) over it and gives an error that it is “Currently not available for use on this computer”.  The remaining folders are accesible and do show sub-folders to various levels deep, however all folders appear to be empty (no files are shown)

On the Macbook, all folders are accesible and all files are present, can be read and copied or deleted.

On the WD MyCloud App on the Windows PC the fileas are also present.

I went through this post and have checked the Microsoft knowledge base page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983620

but I’m unsure if this patch will fix my problem.  Maybe it is just a simple setting that’s wrong somewhere.

Any Ideas oir help someone can offer?

kind regards

Heiner Dillmann

do you know if mac also uses SMB? or does it use somthing else?

if mac does not use SMB then I suppect an issue with the overall_share file, see my comments on this above

if the mac uses SMB too then it has to be a windows issue that I have never heard of. try rebooting in safe mode with networking and test this

I’ve tried all posible solutions i found with no luck, i still have the problem.

I search for the 0x8007003B all around an i can only find mentions to Windows 7 and Windows server, nothing with windows 8.1 (or 8)

I am getting desperate, i suppose is some stupid setting either in the NIC or in the router or in windows, but i am not able to find it.

I tried to copy files from a linux machine and it works without problems (however i still get problems copiying from Android), so I am a bit baffled.

I am going to log a support case with WD to see if they can shed some light into the problem.

As far as I can figure it out the Mac uses SMB and AFP (Both are activated under options in the Sharing Setting)

I did find a workaround o the problem described on the Windows 7 PC as follows:

When you go into the Network on the Windows 7 computer, it lists right at the bottom, the WD My Cloud as a Storage Device.  From here I can access my data and also can map a Natwork drive (Z).  Only Drawback is that you must log onto this network drive manually every time the computer is rebooted.

This morning however I found that he problem described has gone away by itself.  I have no clue what I did to make it go away…

A friend locally has advised me to install the utility “Network Drive Manager” on the Windows 7 Machine, which I did this morning and will monitor what this does - will report back if this makes a difference.

Another question however has arisen: How can I make the Cloud Drive available to Windows run under Parallels on the Apple Macbook?

Well, after a few emails exchange with the support guys and after trying all the proposed solutions without any luck, i sent it back to Amazon for a replacement and the new one works like a charm.