Cannot connect to Netflix, screen goes black after

Hello,

I’ve had the WDTV Play for less than two weeks.  Today I went to access Netflix and as the app boots up, but before it displays the profiles it says “Cannot connect to Netflix” and suggests I visit Netflix for help.  Then when I click “try again” nothing happens. I exit the program then my home screen which should usually have all the apps visible is blank.  I can use the buttons on the remote to open apps but its just shooting in the dark.  Can someone help?

I’ve tried resetting to factory default, and I pressed the reset button for about 15 seconds.  I also tried using the Netflix instructions to deactivate but the up up down down … code they give doesn’t function.

I’m generally dissapointed with the device, and being from Canada not being able to use Unotelly and access US Netflix is a big downside.  If I can’t get this resolved I’m going to try and return this device.

Hi, did you verified if the WDTV has Internet access? Check page 23 of the manual to run a test. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf#page=28

I have EXACTLY the same problem as theodigital.

I have also taken the steps that theodigital took and I have no issues with my Internet connection.

I can log in to Netflix on my computer and IPad, all connecteted to the same network.

Same problem here. And on both my WD set top boxes - running on different update levels. No Netflix for for 4 or 5 days now. And coinicidentally happening right on the day my monthly payment is made - so I can’t cancel Netflix for a full month. If you guys are being coerced  for money (or the reverse), please be upfront about it and make a statement to let us know what we can expect. This **bleep** hard. I’ve cut the cord, so I rely on this service. And I paid you fair and square for my hardware.

Using two WD TV Play(s) on old analog TV’s, TP-Link 150 Mbps wireless N router,  and CenturyLink DSL ISP.

Edit: And I still get youtube on my TV’s and Netflix on my computer. So I seriously doubt it has anything to do with internet access.

Hello,

I’m dissapointed that you’re also experiencing this issue.  

I went to return my device today and unfortunately the place where I bought it from Canada Computers wouldn’t take it back after onyl 10 days, they have a 7 day only return policy.  If you’re in Canada DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY - well - DON’T BUY ANYTHING IF YOU WANT REAL SUPPORT OR THE ABILITY TO RETURN A CRAPPY PRODUCT.

Sorry…my rant is over.

I’d like to try rolling back the firmware, does anyone know where older builds are found?

no internet connectivity issues…for the record

power cycled everything including modem/router.

Theo, it’s too bad you are having problems so soon after buying your box. I’ve had mine for about a year now, and I’m generally pretty satisfied. This is the first real trouble I’ve had (other than needing to ‘reset’ it more than I’d like to by unplugging/plugging it back back in after it locks up). I especially appreciate the multiple format support it has for playing back video files from my hard drive to my TV’s. Something none of the other competitors seem to bother with. They all seem to be more about getting you into paying for new, expensive services. Exactly the thing I’m rebelling against. Myself, I was just sick to death of forking out over $1,000 a year for cruddy programming that I never watched to begin with.

Anyway, I’m willing to give WD a few more days on this. Maybe it really is a technical issue that needs to be sorted out with a firmware update.

I have nothing against Western Digital, in fact I don’t trust any other company’s hard drives.  I have a little library of WD Passports.

i think the quality experience I have had in the past and the glowing reviews of WD products from friends is what makes this sting more.  Also, I didn’t buy it from Costco, god I love Costco, and should have bought it there.

It has been escalated and hopefully a new patch or other fix might be coming our way.

Cheers,

Theo

Hello,

This issue persists.  I’m running a ROKU 3 from the same tv, no issues.

Is there anybody out there???

Device is being sent back on an RMA.

Hopefully the next one I get doesn’t have the same issues.

Sorry to hear that there are others out there that have the same problems as myself and it looks like it is getting worse. At least I managed to log into Netflix some times in the beginning, but now I also getting the black screen (of death).

Is there any way to roll back the fw???

According to the reps I spoke with yesterday there was no rollback option, they kept insisting I update the firmware, to which I informed them that it was updated as this device is two weeks old.

Never before have I wished so much I bought this from Costco.  The device would have gone back with no questions asked that same day.  Instead I have to deal with this bull**bleep** because I bought from Canada Computers.

If you’re in Canada NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM CANADA COMPUTERS they won’t help you when it comes to refunds on crappy defective products.

Terrible in store service and terrible return policy.

Buyer beward.  Fool me once, shame on you.

theodigital wrote:

According to the reps I spoke with yesterday there was no rollback option, they kept insisting I update the firmware, to which I informed them that it was updated as this device is two weeks old.

Never before have I wished so much I bought this from Costco.  The device would have gone back with no questions asked that same day.  Instead I have to deal with this bull**bleep** because I bought from Canada Computers.

If you’re in Canada NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM CANADA COMPUTERS they won’t help you when it comes to refunds on crappy defective products.

Terrible in store service and terrible return policy.

Buyer beward.  Fool me once, shame on you.

We are currently investigating this issue.

I actually managed to connect to Netflix once last night. But the same “Unable to connect, please try again” problem is back again today.

For the record I have two WD TV Plays, one running on the latest firmware update and the other on the next previous update. And neither is able to connect. I get the feeling that every WD device must be affected, but that people are just not finding this thread. Or not taking the time to register and complain. Please do that so that maybe we can get some action on this problem. I’d guess it must have something to do with Netflix slightly altering its login/server structure somehow. And that WD is going to need to create a firmware update. Or else get Netflix to roll back its changes.

Last nasty comment edited out. See post directly above. Apparently WD is at least beginning to believe us now.

This exactly problem theodigital described is happening to me. It have started about two weeks ago sometimes when I tried to access Netflix, from that it just get worse and now Netflix have stopped to work. I only get the ‘Try Again’ and then black screen.

On computer and iPad using the same internet network Netflix still works fine.

I am having the same issue to the letter. Is there any potential resoultion to this? I’m about to retun the unit through Amazon and the window is closing fast.

Return it as fast as you can.

I have to go through the painful RMA process.  BTW who at WD wrote their instructions for the RMA process?  Certainly wasn’t someone with the customer in mind.  It reads like a set of business requirements rather than a step by step simple guide on how you can send their crappy device back.

Robothief, is there any resolution? I’m havibg the same issue and ready to return the unit. If I contact customer support will they know about the problem? 

OliverWhite wrote:

Robothief, is there any resolution? I’m havibg the same issue and ready to return the unit. If I contact customer support will they know about the problem? 

We are still working on it

I will report back here once I have more information

Got a reply from a tech support member of WD, he suggested I change the dns to 8.8.8.8

I’m gettin on a train if any of u guys are home try it out and lmk if it works.

Fingers crossed - I belive the 8.8.8.8 is the google global dns