Cannot cast HD videos from my My Cloud

Hi, I can cast images, small low res videos but if I try HD I get major lag or it does not even start at all. I can’t cast to my tablet, phone (samsung Galaxy S7) or chrome cast (2nd generation). I tried both my 5Ghz and 2.4GHz network, (I have a 802.11ac router). I also tried a few apps that can cast like BubbleUPnP and I don’t get better results. I then installed an app on my PC called videostream to cast from my computer directly to my chromecast and I’m able to cast HD videos with no lag or problems, over the same wifi networkOn top of that, my PC is connected to the router via wifi as the My Cloud is connected to the router via the ethernet cable that came with it. So it really look like the My Cloud is very slow or I have some setup/setting problem but at this point I have no idea what to do.

The issue with casting is three fold. First it relies on the network traffic typically going from the My Cloud through the mobile device (or laptop) then to the Chromecast or similar receiving casting device. Just because one has an Wireless AC WiFi router doesn’t mean the mobile device or laptop is actually connecting at AC speeds. For older mobile devices they may be connecting at Wireless N or worse Wireless G speeds. One would have to confirm with the mobile/laptop device settings to ensure its connecting at the fastest possible speeds/setting.

Second, the processor (both CPU and GPU) and other capabilities of the mobile device plays a part in its ability to properly “cast” video through the device to the Chromecast or similar receiving cast device. The reason why the laptop may work casting HD video is because it has a more powerful processor than those used on your mobile devices or has a better network connection (speed wise) than your mobile devices.

Third is the format of the video being cast. If one attempts to cast a video that is in an unsupported video format of the target cast device then the mobile device or laptop may try to transcode that video on the fly. Transcoding tends to be processor intensive an while a laptop may be able to transcode on the fly a mobile device may not (or will struggle).

See the following link that explains the issues in a bit more detail with respect to casting to a Chromecast device:

http://zipso.net/chromecast-video-quality/

Interesting information. I agree that having an AC router means you’re getting AC speed. However, when I use the 5GHz band there’s no other traffic on it, and I believe that the range of 5GHz is not that big so even if the neighbors have 5GHz network it wouldn’t interfeer.

My phone is a Galaxy S7, I’m pretty sur that it can handle the video, plus I’m streaming MP4 format which should be pretty standard. Anyway, you use the phone to start the streaming but once it’s started you can basically turn the phone off and it still works.I’ll look into the transcoding issue, if somehow the My Cloud drive has to do the transcoding that could very well be the problem.

Thanks

The single bay My Cloud models do not do transcoding. The media file is generally accessed, when not using a WD app/software, via the embedded file server (like the Samba server), or via the embedded media server (Twonky or iTunes media servers) by local network clients.

I’m not sure I fully understand all you said here. I use the My Cloud app on an Android device like my phone or tablet. this is a WD app to access the cloud drive and it has a cast option to send video or images directly to a Chromecast device. So, if I understand what you said correctly, the data gets sent to the Chromecast directly without any transcoding. This brings me back to either the Chromecast or the My Cloud drive is not fast enough. It looks like a combination of both, the My Cloud is slow and the bit rate is too high for the Chromecast. I converted a video to youtube HD which is about 25% the bit rate of full HD and I was able to stream it, from the My Cloud, with some loss of quality and minimal lag. If I stream the same video from Youtube it runs fine this is why I’m saying that the My Cloud drive is slow. It’s a disapointing device…

Please see the link I posted previously: Chromecast video quality as it explains in general terms how casting works on the Chromecast. And it explains the difference between “tab” and “app” casting. And explains other issues that apply when streaming to the Chromecast.

If one is doing “tab” casting as explained in that link one is sending the data from the My Cloud to their mobile device (or laptop) and then casting that data through their device to the Chromecast. The mobile device or laptop acts as a middleman meaning the capabilities of the mobile device and the WiFI connection that mobile device has to the local network can impact or impair how the video is streamed or the quality of that video.

When one does “app” casting the mobile device acts as a remote control of sorts and the data is sent directly to the Chromecast rather than going through the mobile device. Watching Netflix or YouTube video on a Chromecast are examples of “app” casting as the mobile device simply sends the information to the “app” within Chromecast and that app then streams the media independent of the mobile device.

As explained the single bay My Cloud does not do transcoding. Transcoding generally refers to converting the media from one format to another for instances when the end device (Chromecast in this case) does not support the media format. To perform transcoding on the fly (or live) requires a good processor, RAM and network speed on the device doing the transcoding.

The other factor that can be a problem is the WiFi speed. If the Chromecast has a poor WiFi connection its possible the network speed the Chromecast is using to stream content may not be fast enough to support HD video. If the WiFi connection is poor on the Chromecast then one will need to figure out ways to improve it by typically by moving the Chomecast and WiFi router/gateway/extender closer together.

See the following Youtube video that gives some information on how to use Bubble UPnP, the My Cloud and Chromecast.

https://youtu.be/m-4lKO2KDpY

I run Plex on my PC. It makes my PC the media server and the My Cloud is the library. I went to Plex after running into the problems you describe of inconsistent casting. Once you are running Plex on your PC you can get the plex client app on almost any device or smart tv or cast from your tablet to Chromecast. Another benefit to plex is you can turn off all of that media serving stuff on My Cloud and it will run quicker. The only drawback to Plex is your PC needs to be running to use it.

ES File explorer is probably the best app for casting once you get the chromecast add-on if you don’t want Plex.
LocalCast is another.

Kodi is another option and no need to have a plex server/PC running.
I do not cast with Kodi but it is an option
I can play any file from any device just fine from MBL.

I liked Kodi better but with 3 other people in the house I needed the Plex clients for ease of use.

Plus for $40 a year over free Plex I get:
Easy user switching-kids can’t watch Goodfellas

I can share my libraries with anyone-my brother watches via his free Plex account 400 miles away.

Only one ‘server’ needs to run-no Raspberry at every TV
Plex android clients can also cast to Chromecast-when I looked at Kodi last year serious hacking with mixed results was needed for Chromecast.

Kodi or Plex are both way better than Twonky or using ES file explorer as far as ease of use.