Cannot access backup or retrieve tabs on passport

Tabs are dark - cannot click on.

How to solve?

Thanks

Jack

Be sure that the Passport is connected directly to one of the PC USB ports, using extension USB cables or USB hubs might cause power inconsistencies. From the Smartware Home tab, be sure to click on the Passport icon, to make the Backup and Retrieve tabs accessible. 

1 Like

Thanks much!

Jack

Okay, here’s a follow-on question:

Can I selectively retrieve the data by category (for example, can I just retrieve the documents to my new laptop, without copying everything that I have on my desktop)?

Thanks

Jack

Another question:

Is there a way to access (view) the files stored on the Passport directly?

Thanks

Jack

JackBlack321 wrote:

Okay, here’s a follow-on question:

Can I selectively retrieve the data by category (for example, can I just retrieve the documents to my new laptop, without copying everything that I have on my desktop)?

Thanks

Jack

Yes, from the Retrieve tab you can select that option, check the link below for the steps. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3829

2 Likes

JackBlack321 wrote:

Another question:

Is there a way to access (view) the files stored on the Passport directly?

Thanks

Jack

Yes, to access the files directly, you only need to manually explore the Passport from the Computer/My Computer window, inside you will see a folder with the name “Smartware.swstor”. Inside this folder you can see all of your files. 

2 Likes

Thank you much.

Is there anywhere on the web that this type of information is spelled out?  As you know, the only information in the users manual is, basically, plug it in and turn it on.

Thanks again.

Jack

JackBlack321 wrote:

Thank you much.

Is there anywhere on the web that this type of information is spelled out?  As you know, the only information in the users manual is, basically, plug it in and turn it on.

Thanks again.

Jack

Most of the information you might need, you can find it on the WD Knowledge Base or using the WD community search bar. Check the link below.

http://support.wdc.com/

Thank you.